 Space / 32456
Re: That old set FEELING...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:05:00 GMT

In lugnet.space, Thomas Main wrote:
   But for some reason, I still feel nostalgic about classic Space. Not all of it. As a matter of fact, the set that inspired this discussion, 6929 Starfleet Voyager, does nothing for me at all. And to complicate matters, it’s not just the official line that I like. The first Classic Space Contest (http://www.lugnet.com/~1/ClassicSpaceContest/2000/) was one of my favorite contests ever. That gave me a feeling of nostalgia for something brand new (“newstalgia”). To explain this, I guess I’d have to say that the design aesthetic of classic Space appeals to me.

That contest was a ton of fun. One thing that one had that I haven’t seen in any other contest here was that we were encouraged to make entries look like official sets. Add a support vehicle, the appropriate number of figs and accessories, and alternate models. And most of all, try to aim for a certain balance of simplicity and complexity that stylistically matches classic space.

   2 - When I was young, it was a great thrill for me to build something and come across new or rare parts. I would think about the building steps when I would first be able to see them while building up a model. Believe it or not, in those days, hinge parts, and the transparent plate in this set did that for me.

I’m with you here- I remember the days when I knew the exact counts of every unique part in my collection. You know- the useful stuff. All the 1x2 hinge bricks (how many grey? blue?), 2x2-2x2 brackets, 4x4 cones, and 1x4 bricks with printed grills. I also remember poring over catalogs and analyzing the 1” x 1 1/2” pictures to see how many headlight bricks or alligator hinges that new fire truck had.

AndroDan
   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com