 Space / 32337
Re: That old set FEELING...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:20:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
Yesterday I opened a MISB 6929 Starfleet Voyager and build it. The build took
surprisingly long time, but it was worth every minute of it. There was a FEELING
building this classic, seeing it grow in front of your eyes, that I just don't
get building a recent set - none of the Star Wars sets had this special quality,
that I just can't explain.

Anyway, about the discussion on containers, this set actually has a standard
container, although it is small. I picture this ship as a FedEx interstellar
small freight ship, with Robin Castway in the cockpit, and his trusted
basketball in the container, with an express delivery of two shovels to the
mining planets in the far end of the galaxy.....

And as Castway of course have to have a Hideaway to live in, I opened and build
a 6592 Vacation Hideaway as well. A small house, few parts, and a simple build,
but it still gave that same FEELING, that Privets Drive just couldn't.

Am I the only one having it like this? Does anybody have a better word for this?

regards,
Arne, Copenhagen

Absolutely.  Aside from being an original design, the old classic space sets
revolve around one central concept: playability.  The basic brick construction
affords great material for building other creations to be sure, but even the
official sets offer adventure in themselves.  The cargo pod...the tools...the
figs...the mechanics of the ship being able to pick up the cargo.  In short,
they are fun to build AND fun to play with after.  I think the only sets in the
last few years to even come close are the Rebel Gunship and perhaps the new
World City Rescue copter.  With the copter being a new release and TLC claiming
a return to basics, perhaps there is hope for a return to this winning concept.

-G