 Space / 32421
Re: That old set FEELING...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:04:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
   Yesterday I opened a MISB 6929 Starfleet Voyager and build it. The build took surprisingly long time, but it was worth every minute of it. There was a FEELING building this classic, seeing it grow in front of your eyes, that I just don’t get building a recent set - none of the Star Wars sets had this special quality, that I just can’t explain.

Am I the only one having it like this? Does anybody have a better word for this?

It’s called nostalgia. I was surprised a few years ago to find that I don’t suffer from it. I’ve probably told this story one too many times, but anyway...

Like most Space Lego fans, I lusted after the 928/497 Galaxy Explorer. For nigh on twenty years I had wanted to have this set. Then I had the extraordinary good fortune to buy one that had only ever been built once and was in pristine condition.

I spent an evening building it. It was an interesting build, because the plate construction seemed reasonably unique compared to other Classic Space sets I had built, but when I had finished it and swooshed it around a few times, I was both surprised and disappointed to find that it didn’t give me the feeling of nostalgia that I expected. In fact, I didn’t even find the ship as cool as I thought I would when I finally got it in my hands. I looked a bit dinky.

Anyway, light the torches, I’m ready to be tied to the stake now. :-)

Nah, I wouldn’t flame you for that. It’s easy to see the classic space through rose-colored glasses and I congratulate you at taking an honest, critical look at the sets.

I remember when classic space came out. I really didn’t know what to make of it. This may be hard for people born during eras of themes and sub-themes to understand, but I remember being in a store and looking at some of the first classic Space sets and thinking something along the lines of, “wow...this is Lego, and somehow it’s not Lego.” It was that different. A huge departure and a brand new direction for Lego. That day I got

Unable to embed set:487 in /space/?n=32421
Space Cruiser (1) and had loads of fun playing with it. I remember building it and anticipating the steps that would include the new-to-me 4x8 plate in transparent yellow. (2) As it turns out, though, I had a hard time integrating the space system into my play. I had been building up a classic Lego town and that’s where most of my interest lay. I wound up getting another classic space set

Unable to embed set:493 in /space/?n=32421
Space Command Center, but aside from being given

Unable to embed set:452 in /space/?n=32421
Mobile Tracking Station as a gift, that was it for my classic Space collection. I remember thinking that if I started building up a space base, I wouldn’t have enough resources to keep building my town, so I chose Town over Space.

But for some reason, I still feel nostalgic about classic Space. Not all of it. As a matter of fact, the set that inspired this discussion, 6929 Starfleet Voyager, does nothing for me at all. And to complicate matters, it’s not just the official line that I like. The first Classic Space Contest (http://www.lugnet.com/~1/ClassicSpaceContest/2000/) was one of my favorite contests ever. That gave me a feeling of nostalgia for something brand new (“newstalgia”). To explain this, I guess I’d have to say that the design aesthetic of classic Space appeals to me.

1 - Since this was the only classic spaceship I had, for a long time I confused it with the 497 Galaxy Explorer (that gets greater mention on LUGNET). So much so that for a long time, I thought it was the Galaxy Explorer that I had. Talking about dinky, in comparison to 487, the galaxy Explorer is HUGE.

2 - When I was young, it was a great thrill for me to build something and come across new or rare parts. I would think about the building steps when I would first be able to see them while building up a model. Believe it or not, in those days, hinge parts, and the transparent plate in this set did that for me.

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com