 Space / 32411
Re: That old set FEELING...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:32:24 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:

It’s called nostalgia. I was surprised a few years ago to find that I don’t suffer from it. I’ve probably told this story one too many times, but anyway...

Like most Space Lego fans, I lusted after the 928/497 Galaxy Explorer. For nigh on twenty years I had wanted to have this set. Then I had the extraordinary good fortune to buy one that had only ever been built once and was in pristine condition.

I spent an evening building it. It was an interesting build, because the plate construction seemed reasonably unique compared to other Classic Space sets I had built, but when I had finished it and swooshed it around a few times, I was both surprised and disappointed to find that it didn’t give me the feeling of nostalgia that I expected. In fact, I didn’t even find the ship as cool as I thought I would when I finally got it in my hands. I looked a bit dinky.

Anyway, light the torches, I’m ready to be tied to the stake now. :-)

True...nostalgia is a powerful factor in the reverence the old CS sets enjoy here, but for me anyway it’s the concept of playablility that comes through in the design and basic construction of the sets that tweaks me more so than the actual models themselves. However, Allister and Paul are absolutely correct....we cannot ignore or belittle the marvelous selection of parts and development of technique that has blossomed since those years. For the hobby builder, both young and old alike, the opportunities are much greater these days. Although for the casual younger builder with only a very limited amount of sets provided to them, I can’t help but wish the playability of the sets unto themselves was a little better....interpret the causes of this as you will.

Great topic.

-G