 Space / 32407
Re: That old set FEELING...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 23:48:24 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:

It's called {nostalgia}. I was surprised a few years ago to find that I don't
suffer from it. I've probably told this story one too many times, but
anyway...

Anyway, light the torches, I'm ready to be tied to the stake now. :-)

Cheers,

Save a spot for me up there dude. I like the old sets, but appreciate them more
for their place in history than as models in themselves.

I had the 924 as a kid, and could build it from memory. When I came out of my
dark age 18 months or so ago, I was scouring Ebay looking for these sets trying
to relive 'that old feeling'. When I realised how much the accursed collectors
were pushing the prices up I gave it up.

As it happened, enough pieces to build them turned up in the second hand lots I
was voraciously buying at the time so I got to build them anyway. It as at this
point, like yourself, that I realised they weren't all that special really. Not
bad models, certainly, but not worth the level of reverence they seem to attract
here. I do find it cute when people wax lyrical about the good old days of years
gone by though.

I've got enough* pieces from those days to not miss too much the fact that they
aren't made any more, and I'm having enough fun with the new pieces coming out
to not feel too bad about the future. The ever increasing range and colours of
curved slopes alone is enough to keep me coming back for a while to come yet.

Cheers,

Allister

*'enough' meaning not a hugely substantial amount, but enough to allow me to
build what I want to ie. small to medium spaceships and town models. The desire
for infinite amounts of discontinued pieces seems a little irrational to me.