 Space / 32489
Re: Space Cargo Container Standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:59:11 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.space, Jeff Findley wrote:
On "real" cargo container trains (where the semi-trailers look like they're
riding on the rails rather than on top of a large flat bed car),

Semi trailers and cargo containers are very different beasts.  Cargo containers
are just big boxes.

While this is true, the LEGO design we have here is similar to both.  It's
similar to cargo containers, but has attachment points for railroad wheels
between the cars (which is similar to semi trailers that have attachment points
for railroad wheels).

the single wheel set is located underneath the semi-trailer, near the road
wheelset, but I can't seem to find any pictures online.

I had never heard of these, nor seen them in use (and cargo trains make at least
once-a-day runs through this area), but I found an image of what you described:

http://www.midcentral-region-nmra.org/Scouts/Flat_cars/roadrailer.jpg

That's it!

These also appear to be of the articulated variety, as there is a truck at
either end of the Amtrak semi trailer, and what appears to be a second unbranded
trailer linked to the rear truck.

I've seen these things in person (sitting in my car, waiting for the train to
pass).  They're interesting because you just need that one special set of wheels
between a "normal" train car and the semi trailers.  After that, you need a set
of wheels at the rear of each semi trailer.  Presumably this set not only
supports the trailer directly above it, but connects to the trailer behind it as
a normal "fifth wheel" on a semi tractor (truck) would.

In a LEGO version of this (semi trailers with wheel sets underneath), you'd
likely be able to "get by" by fixing a single set of train wheels to the trailer
and extending a tongue (a technic 2xN plate with vertical holes), fixed to the
wheel set, back to the next trailer and mounting the tongue to the next trailer
with a vertical pin that fits in the tongue.

With the space containers and wheelset design, I think you'd just fix the wheels
to the container in front, and only put turntables on the connection to the rear
container.  That way, the train wheels should follow the track "good enough".
They ought to follow it about as good as the short LEGO cars that have single
wheel sets at either end of the car.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to "try this at home" because my
mother-in-law is coming for a visit today and tomorrow.  :(

Maybe on the weekend.  Until then, I've saved pictures of the designs so I can
build them in front of the computer.

Jeff