 Space / 32311
Re: Space Cargo Container Standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:53:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeff Findley wrote:
Even though I rarely start threads on Lugnet, I thought this topic is ripe for
discussion.

We've seen from the recent thread, http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=32226
Trainhead gives space a whirl, that there seems to be some interest in a Space
Cargo Container Standard.

Drawing on the above thread, I'd guess that you'd want both ends of the cargo
container to conform to the existing standard for a Moonbase Corridor connection
(i.e. 8 studs wide with the 2 1x2 bricks with hole in the proper place).
Furthermore, it seems that 8 studs wide works for trains.

I'm not sure about the height.  The ends of the Moonbase Corridor are 7 bricks
and two plates high.  It might be nice to extend this a bit both up and down so
that a standard can be made for the top and bottom that will allow stacking of
containers.  Perhaps there is a technique to be borrowed from Trains?

As for the length, Moonbase Modules are 48x48 studs.  If you choose to make them
16 studs long, three containers in length is exactly the length of a Moonbase
Module.  This allows containers to be used as expansion modules on a moonbase.
It's also exactly twice the standard width of the Moonbase Corridor, which will
make the containers the same width vs. length ratio as the classic 2x4 brick.
What do others think about a standard length?

Comments, suggestions, flames?

I don't see this as being an issue for the MoonBase.  I see it being more
necessary for a MB rail or track system, but even then it doesn't need to be
"nailed down" like the MB corridors have to be. If the MB corridors don't line
up, then that's a LOT more work to get the module up to code.

If a container is meant to fit on a door, I would imagine it's up to the builder
to take that into consideration to fit the basic dimensions of the door.  If
it's meant to travel throughout the MB without ever leaving the comfort of the
pressurized environment, that again is on the builder.

The word "container" is a pretty broad term.  There's room for all kinds of
containers, in many capacities.

Also, it took a lot of work & discussion before the MB corridor standard came to
be.  Changing it now, to fit an as-yet undefined (and possibly unnecessary)
standard for containers would be jumping the gun.

-nk