 Space / 32309
Re: Space Cargo Container Standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:42:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeff Findley wrote:

As for the length, Moonbase Modules are 48x48 studs.  If you choose to make them
16 studs long, three containers in length is exactly the length of a Moonbase
Module.  This allows containers to be used as expansion modules on a moonbase.
It's also exactly twice the standard width of the Moonbase Corridor, which will
make the containers the same width vs. length ratio as the classic 2x4 brick.
What do others think about a standard length?

I'd say standard dimensions are a requirement! I'd also say we include a short
and long version of the containers, much like trains (or real-life intermodal)
does. the containers I used (I think) are 8 studs long, so this could be the
short version. 16 sounds about right for the long version.

I'm not sold either way on 6 wide vs. 8 wide. I've actually cross-posted to
.trains, since that group will know much about the pros/cons. I think 6 is
actually a bit better for making sharp turns, which on Moonbase may be very
important.

Jake
---
Jake McKee