 Space / 32314
Re: Space Cargo Container Standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:03:00 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Kollross wrote:
Snippage

I don't see this as being an issue for the MoonBase.  I see it being more
necessary for a MB rail or track system, but even then it doesn't need to be
"nailed down" like the MB corridors have to be. If the MB corridors don't line
up, then that's a LOT more work to get the module up to code.

If a container is meant to fit on a door, I would imagine it's up to the builder
to take that into consideration to fit the basic dimensions of the door.  If
it's meant to travel throughout the MB without ever leaving the comfort of the
pressurized environment, that again is on the builder.

The word "container" is a pretty broad term.  There's room for all kinds of
containers, in many capacities.

Also, it took a lot of work & discussion before the MB corridor standard came to
be.  Changing it now, to fit an as-yet undefined (and possibly unnecessary)
standard for containers would be jumping the gun.

-nk

I don't think anyone is talking about changing the MB standards as much as
designing a standard for containers to fit WITH the MB.

Mike

Here's the part in Jeff's original message that particular reaction is to; I
read it as changing the corridor height at the ends, but after re-reading the
passage it appears ambiguous.

I'm not sure about the height.  The ends of the Moonbase Corridor are 7 bricks
and two plates high.  It might be nice to extend this a bit both up and down so
that a standard can be made for the top and bottom that will allow stacking of
containers.  Perhaps there is a technique to be borrowed from Trains?