 Space / 127
Re: The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 00:20:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:

<cut>
Before we start posting models, or defining installations, it would be a
good idea to figure out the background environment (culture, technology
level, politics, etc.).  That way, we'll know what types of models to post,
and what installations to create, and how to avoid glaring inconsistencies.

Is the background environment necessary to displaying peoples' artwork?

<cut>
My take on this project is it should stay closer to hard science fiction
than to space opera, or Star Trek technology.  More realistic ships,
stations, and equipment.  Fewer light sabres, transporters, and force
fields.  The only truly "fantastic technology" should be interstellar
drives.  There may even be different kinds of interstellar drives.

Why the limitations?

<cut>
There are also a fair number of colonies of various sizes.  Each of the
planetary governments has some colonies.  Some of the bigger colonies have
colonies.  Depending on the planet, there may be several colonies on one
planet, established by different governments.

Sounds like an  imaginative way to segregate themes of models. Maybe some would
like to have themes to build to. TLG themes run upwards of fifteen that I'm
aware of. Some models will span themes; some may be very regional.

<cut>

Steve, please understand I am not trying to razz your ideas here. I just don't
understand the reasoning for any attempt to limit associations of space-based
models.

Wayne