 Space / 125
Re: The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:02:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:
On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:58:44 GMT, "Duane Hess" <DNJHESS@ZDNETMAIL.COM>
wrote:

So since we are going to use a technology that is only plausible by today's
standards, I'm assuming that FTL speeds are out of the question since
that is mathematically impossible.

Depends on where we want to go.  If we want to set up a framework for a
believable, interesting interstellar society, we've pretty much got to
allow FTL technology.  Even practical sub-light drive technology is way out
there.

My point is, where do we draw the line? We are dealing with creativity and
imagination. Who is to decide what is allowed and what is not? I certainly
don't want to be the one who does it. All I care about is having a place
where I can showcase my models and check out other people's designs.

I could care less if my ship belongs in sector X,Y,Z or such. Or how much
my interstellar drive costs. If I can't make my drive out of the same
pieces as the next guy, I'll improvise. That's the name of the game.

Yes, technologies will be different, very different between the builders.
But, that is what we are going for. We want to have "cultural diversity"
with respect to our designs.

How far are we going to go with this one? I like to have a certain degree
of reality included in my models, but I like to include a little fantasy
to make sure that things are spiced up enough.

There's a lot of things that don't really matter, one way or the other.
F'r instance, even if the ships don't have artificial gravity, I'm still
likely to design them with a sense off 'up' and 'down' -- either they'll
need it, so they can land on planets, or it will be impossible to avoid.

Cost? Let me order some more $100 tiles from TLG and I'll get back with you.

I meant that having a ballpark of the relative cost would give people an
idea of where to go with things.  If interstellar ships are as cheap as
Plymouth Dusters, then the idea of a "family cruiser" is reasonable.  If
building a ship requires the resources of a large nation, there won't be
many ships around.

I build without thought to the production cost of the model I'm building. If
I have parts left, I can still build more models. I don't think about labor.
I have minifigs-O-plenty for a workforce. True the larger the model is, the
fewer I'll make, but I'm for quality not quantity.

I feel that the current discussion is already starting to get a little out of
balance. I'm OK with designing a standard docking port, but feel that it is
a little over the top to start putting constraints on my designs due to
imaginary maintenance and budget issues for imaginary technology.
I have a swelling Jar-Jar/Gungan species in my colony. :-)

Can you put it in LDraw?  No, really.  Can you?  Please?  It's only one
little piece.  One weird, funky, oddly-shaped little piece.  Well, two if
you count the torso.

I hope you're joking, since I was.

Yep.  Not that I'd mind having the Jar-Jar head in LDraw.  Might be more
practical to model it in POV-Ray, and use a stand-in in LDraw.  Not this
week, though.

Steve

Tell you what. I'll design my ships with the technology that I can dream up
in my head. I don't care about the physics behind the model, only that it
looks cool. If the trans-yellow radar dishes on the front are meant to be
magnetic shield emitters, than that's what they are. If they are meant to
be a space-age bug deflector than so be it. But either way, they are in my
mind, what I say they are.

I think I'll let the rest of you guys determine where the space station
will be and what types of governments will rule it. In the mean time I'm
going to go home, read my Star Trek magazine and finish up my shuttle craft.
Let me know what you decide.

-Duane