 Space / 119
Re: The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:17:08 GMT

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:44:01 GMT, "James J." <jejackso@memphis.edu> wrote:

Fantastic Technology built science fiction, which eventually built science. I'm
sure many an astronaut/cosmonaut or seaman aboard a
diesel/gasoline/nuclear-powered submarine owes his career to Jules Verne.

But Jules Verne typically made few assumptions about technology in his
novels.  He took those few assumptions tried to see where they would take
him.

Contrast that with "Sci Fi" which has faster-than-light drives, artificial
gravity, devices which can assemble common objects out of thin air, psychic
abilities, shape changers, etc., etc.  Not to pick on Star Trek, they're
just the most common example.

Steve