 Space / 138
Re: The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 06:40:13 GMT

WARNING! LONG POST!

Why not both big science ships *and* small fighters? We all know from Star
Trek, Star Wars etc that those big science ships are very helpless without
500 fighters protecting them.

This just gave me an idea. On the Datsville in space homepage, every week, a
new "problem" should be announced. Like:

"Our scouts have just detected large amounts of gold beneath the surface on
a nearby asteroid. We need a ground vehicle that can transport the gold to
the space station, and also some fighters to protect the mine. News travel
faster than light in this area, so we have to avoid pirates of any kind."

Then, the next week could have a followup, like:

"Our diggings of gold have awaked a strange alien race, that has been
sleeping for eons. They have already terminated the mine station. Design a
fighter that will be strong enough to hold them back, or design a space
hospital with transport for the injuried pilots."

If we then stored every event in an archive (with a flashy name like DVIS
Database) then people could click around, to view the history of the
station.

--Tobias

Ben wrote:
<SNIP>
Someone (Duane) mentioned the fact that a lot of us like to build fighters.
If we are going to stick with a hard science universe, kiss those good bye.
Dogfighting by shaping 8 hour orbits just isn't my idea of a good time.
Really, imposing technological and scientific limitations seems to be • *very*
limiting.  I'd be tempted to invent some long lost race of aliens, just to • get
around it, and I'd rather not do that.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate realism, but not to the detriment of my
building.  My rule of thumb is, "Does it *look* like it will work?  Then go
with it."