 Space / 128
Re: Is Classic Space really that fantastic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 00:40:41 GMT

To answer the subject: YES!

In lugnet.space, Tobias Möller writes:
I have never owned a Classic Space set, so maybe I am the wrong person to
say this, but here we go:

I have alwys loved space. When I found the Internet and all the exciting
space stuff there, I was very excited. Escpecially over Classic space.
Everyone says that it is so great, and I also thought so. Yes, of course
some of the stuff are great, but what about all the small things like the
space shuttle? They are not that great, are they?

Classic Space, literally and figuratively, represents a launching point from
Town. It attempted to bring in some building innovations that couldn't wholly
be incorporated into Town (at least Town of that era), and succeeded to a
large degree. But at the same time, it also started the road to more fantastic
building, as common parts were made in new colors, and were plausible in their
new space setting. And it also introduced strange pieces that wouldn't be
found in a Town setting, sometimes unsuccessfully.

If you have any personal favourite in Classic Space, I´d like to hear.
If have understood this right, if Classic Space was of a rather uneven
quality, then Blacktron 1 was good all the way through in every set. Is it
like that?

Without having a constantly great space imagination or a many good space idea
platforms to draw from, TLG had to either borrow from what they could and
alter it (like they did with Star Wars then) or they had to come up with stuff
on their own. They knew they had to "capture" space cuz that's where boys
were, so they tried it, slowly at first.

Much popular sci-fi as we know it today was it in its infancy, so there was
much less visual material to be inspired from. But the designers of TLG in
that era learned from that, and perhaps even looked around themselves at other
fictional space ideas and struck gold (black & gold :-) with Blacktron I.

To me, Star Wars sets represent a return to that philosophy of Lego space,
only now TLG can openly use SW. Yet, there is a certain "homey" quality to
classic space that even SW doesn't quite have, though it's close.

-Tom McD.
when replying, babies instinctively recoil when exposed to spamcake.