 Publishing / 4580
Re: AFOLs Comic book distribution @ BrickFest 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:58:46 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   They’re late when something public points to their published URL.

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/comic/afols-final.pdf

...that’s something public. See the last page.

It’s posted on a privately-owned website, it doesn’t appear to be directly accesible through that website’s front page, it’s not the intended official publication form (print vs online), it’s before the official release date, and it’s still not publicly posted in view of the primary intended audience (remember, we’re the subject, not the audience). It’s still a sneak preview.

MoD and BZP both received “sneak preview” mention of the URL for an online BIONICLE game at least a month before it was officially released to the public, with the understanding that while it was intended that we would publish the URL for our readers, the game was still officially in the debugging phase. Just remember that TLC won’t have a dedicated staff of programmers assigned to just this one webpage, and they need to balance their project load according to stated deadlines. According to what Jake posted, it sounds like their deadline is later this month, which will still be in plenty of time for Brickfest DC.

Given the choice between posting a hastily coded “rough draft” page with a scattering of easily remembered links (which is sure to offend many of the websites that are not initially included), and posting a professional-looking page with a thoroughly researched set of links a few weeks later, which do you think would make the most sense to them? Besides, most people who frequent LUGNET already know where to find what we need online, so what practical purpose is there in rushing the webpage on our account?