 Events / BrickFest / 2648
Re: AFOLs Comic book distribution @ BrickFest 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:26:09 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Anthony Sava wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Jake McKee wrote:
We are working hard to get the LEGOfan site soft launched, and should have our
first version up around the end of the month.

More information coming soon!

That's great Jake but I think you missed the point.  LUGNET is now and has been
the central point of LEGO fan discussion.  The comic implies something different
and that, to me, is where the others a coming from.  That's not to say that
LUGNET is the end all and be all of LEGO online discussion and will be for all
time but it seems to me slightly unfair and unaccurate to to portray LEGOFan.org
to a level that it is not currently at.

-Orion

I agree, Lugnet is the central point of English LEGO fan discussion.  I
personally find the idea that we're pointing kids to a site that doesn't exist
in any real sense yet ludicrous; especially if we're going to hand these out at
Brickfest and that's less than a month away, inside the time it will take to get
the site launched.

What better way to say 'Welcome to our hobby!' than to point them to an empty,
unpopulated website.  If this were a year from now, and if LEGOFan.net had at
least some semblance of a fan base, THEN we could distribute this comic as-is.
Even if LEGOFan.net is launched by the time Brickfest rolls around, it'll take
at least a few months before enough people join the website to make it worth
mentioning as the central point of anything.

I say the text be changed to Lugnet, 1000steine, or just about anything with an
actual pulse, or else this comic is just going to turn off those kids that are
on the edge of being an AFOL when they realise this huge network of people from
around the world just isn't there.
--Anthony

OK, I just reread what Jake said, and I misread it the first time.  I read 'in a
month' instead of 'end of the month'.  Even so, I feel everything I said is
still accurate to the spirit of this issue as I see it.

--Anthony