 Events / BrickFest / 2650
Re: AFOLs Comic book distribution @ BrickFest 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:52:35 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Anthony Sava wrote:
I agree, Lugnet is the central point of English LEGO fan discussion.  I
personally find the idea that we're pointing kids to a site that doesn't
exist in any real sense yet ludicrous;

Kids?  What does this have to do with kids?  AFOLs is intended as a means of
reaching out to closet-AFOLs and AFOLs who are simply unaware of the magnitude
of AFOL community out there.

I say the text be changed to Lugnet, 1000steine, or just about anything with
an actual pulse, or else this comic is just going to turn off those kids
that are on the edge of being an AFOL when they realise this huge network of
people from around the world just isn't there.

If they point it to LUGNET, the 1000steine people would feel left out.  If they
point it to 1000steine, the FBTB people would feel left out.  If they point it
to FBTB...well, you get the idea.  If you point them to LEGOfan.org, which then
has links directing AFOLs to every significant community, then noone gets left
out and noone gets preferrential treatment.  Fans around the world could go to
the same portal site and find the community that best serves their interests.
And running it through a LEGO-owned website means they've got their collective
butts covered in case something goes bad.  I'm not saying anything necessarily
would, but consider how it would look if the private owner of the promoted
website developed a grudge against a few other sites and kept them off the list,
or falls into a bout of disinterest with the hobby and just neglects the site
altogether, or ends up so peeved at TLC over some change down the road that the
entire site is replaced with anti-LEGO propoganda.  It's too late to go back and
list a new website in the AFOLs comics that you've already handed out, and if
the website doesn't actually include a trademarked term they don't have any
grounds for demanding the domain name be surrendered to them.  So many people
are so concerned about the fact that their favorite website wasn't presented as
the jewel of the AFOL community, but they're not taking the time to consider how
big a risk it would be for TLC to do so.  Remember, much of the company's staff
has only recently begun to understand what the AFOL community is all about, and
they haven't had the time to develop the relationship with us that people like
Brad and Jake have.