 Promotional / 264
Re: Lego vs. Pokemon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 05:43:37 GMT

In lugnet.promo, Erin Windross writes:
In lugnet.promo, Tobias Möller writes:
Yeah, but it all started with the videogame didn´t it? I read that the idea
for pokémon came in 1995, when the game started to be developed. Perhaps the
anime came before the game. I think it did, because the "pokémon" show was
on the TV news when lots of children had to go to a hospital after wathcing
it(1). That was back in 97, and the game was released in 98, i think.

--Tobias

(1)The reason was that the background flashed from red to blue more than 50
times (could be more or less) during one second. That gave some children
epilepsy.

I do remember hearing about that in the news, but I don't think it was Pokemon
<remembers the episode of the Simpsons where they featured them going to Japan
then watching one of those cartoons and getting sezuires> *starts to laugh*
But seriously though I don't think it was Pokemon, and I heard the report in
early 99'.

It was indeed an episode of the Pokemon cartoon that caused a
an epidemic of epilepsy attacks among japanese children.  What's
hilarious / really sad is that one of the the evening news shows
in Japan showed a clip  from the same cartoon while discussing
the story that evening, and a second wave of attacks hit as numerous
adults were similarly stricken with seizures.

--

jthompson@esker.com  "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"