 Promotional / 186
Re: Lego vs. Pokemon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:33:59 GMT

In lugnet.promo, Kya Morden writes:
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 00:18:03 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
Kya Morden wrote:
I dunno, I put Pokemon in almost the same boat as Sanrio/Hello Kitty,
which is still around.
[...]  I think it'll be around with us for a long time,
Two words:  Beanie Babies.  *That* market dried up; Pokemon took its • place...
I still see Beanie Babies all over the place, sure, there's not riots
for them, but they're still there.

The *toys* are still there, but the market is all but gone.

Also, you forget that Pokemon is
inherently a video game with marketing devices in the form of toys, tv
shows, a movie, and cards.

You've forgotten the best feature of Pokemon, and the biggest thing it has in
common with Beanine Babies, Hello Kitty, etc.:  it's a short-term revenue
machine with huge payoffs.  It's a fad.  It'll go strong for about a year,
*maybe* two, then its popularity will fade quickly, and it'll replaced by
something else just as bletcherous and inane, perhaps cute fuzzy anthrax
spore collectables.

I am just glad that Lego is not just a flash in the pan.  I'll still enjoy
playing with it even after the anthrax spores are old news, shunned by roving
packs of first-graders eager to swap their hot new collectable pet anvils.

Cheers,
- jsproat