 Organizations / United States / SMART / *46 (-46)
  Re: May SMART meeting; retro-reflector data

(...) Thanks, David. I would like to add that using a Lego lamp will significantly improve your ability to detect the reflector. These lamps are part if the ultimate accessory kit and can also be purchased from Lego Shop-At-Home and/or Lego Dacta. (...) (23 years ago, 9-May-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  May SMART meeting; retro-reflector data

This is a reminder of the upcoming SMART meeting. It will be May 19th, 2pm, at the Bellevue Library, room 1. (Check out our meeting page at (URL) if you haven't done so yet!) At the meeting we'll have brief introductions, a show & tell of robots (...) (23 years ago, 9-May-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Gus, congratulations

(...) Thank you Dave, (applause), Thank you, thank you everyone (more applause)... Actually, SMART members David Schilling and Barton Place were also at the Robothon and have already congratulated me. The speech: The Line Maze was a very challenging (...) (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Gus, congratulations

Can't believe no one has mentioned it yet. Gus took his Lego robot to the SRS Robothon last weekend and took FIRST PLACE in the Line Maze. That deserves a good round of applause. You have set a standard for us all to try and achieve. Well done. (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Colorado Sumo went great!

Thanks for your help, gentlemen, we had a terriffic time. Our fledgling club has a web presence now, including a *ton* of pictures, video, and analysis of our first competition. I'd like to invite you to drop by (URL) at your convenience. (23 years ago, 23-Apr-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Web site on Lego Bi-Ped Walkers

Since the next challenge is to build a walker, I thought I would pass this on to you in case you have not seen it in the robotics or technic newsgroups. (URL) a related matter, Barton Place and I were talking about using a wheel or similar mounted (...) (23 years ago, 15-Apr-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Meeting Home Page and Mini Challenge lists

I've created a home page for our SMART meetings. (URL) page will contain details about when and where the next meeting will be held, what the current mini challenge is, and what mini challenges will be up for a vote for the following meeting. This (...) (23 years ago, 14-Apr-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Length of Diagonal Spreadsheet (Now in PDF format!)

Thank you everyone who either offered to make a PDF file or went ahead and made one and mailed it to me. Here is the PDF version of the spreadsheet. (URL) suggest that you print it out and try out some of the diagonals. For the new 12 and 20 tooth (...) (23 years ago, 8-Apr-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

"Gustav Jansson" <GJansson@aol.com> wrote in message news:GBFto5.GFC@lugnet.com... <snip>> Please, if anyone has the means to create Adobe Acrobat .pdf files, please (...) </snip> I'll give it a go when I'm back in work on tuesday..... Duq (23 years ago, 7-Apr-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Length of Diagonal Spreadsheet

Hi Everyone, I just created a spreadsheet that I think will be useful to many of us. It shows the lengths of possible diagonals in terms of LEGO Units. I created it because I often find myself searching by trial and error for possible diagonal (...) (23 years ago, 7-Apr-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: David Schilling

Oh I see. thanx....good luck! (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: David Schilling

(...) I built the Killough platform for the March SMART meeting mini-challenge. (SMART is the Seattle Mindstorms and Robotic Techies group.) The basic idea was to build a robot to wander around a table, without falling off, and stop beside a heavy (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Killough Platform and Meeting Thanks

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone who came today. I think it was an excellent meeting and I'm already looking forward to the next one. The next challenge should be fun, especially now that I know what 'around' means :) I especially (...) (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Notes from second SMART meeting

The second SMART meeting just is just over, and we had a terrific time! Quite a few people tried out the mini-challenge of locating a heavy block on a table. And most of them were even successful! (Though my own entry wasn't, perhaps I was overly (...) (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Tomorrow's Challenge Notes

I funny thing happened to me while I was writing up some reminders for tomorrow's meeting to send to SRS and Workshop3D. I realized that I, myself, had totally misinterpreted the challenge as stated by David Schilling. When I reread it today I (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Point new-guy to resources?

(...) Now there's an interesting idea.. but I'm out of sensors. )-: (...) Aww.. (-: Actually, one of our guys is doing just that. I've had a couple of ideas, but they're kludgy. Our first match ruleset permits only peices from a single RIS (plus one (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Point new-guy to resources?

(...) Actually it was me (David's little Brother) who built it and David came from Seattle to program it. The reason I made it with a transmission is because it was too slow the first time I built it and I knew that if I left it like that, the other (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Point new-guy to resources?

(...) Sorry for not answering sooner, I've been out of town. Actually, it was my brother, Phil Schilling who built the gear-shifting robot for the RTL-Toronto sumo event. (I only wrote the program it used.) He won with it last year. He also entered (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Maxwells Demons - official rules

(...) I haven't settled on an official date for the next Maxwell's Demons competition, but I'm leaning towards the end of September, or perhaps early October. Of course there's nothing to prevent anyone from starting to build a robot now, if they (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Point new-guy to resources?

(...) the builder thereof. I've got a couple ideas about how to do it, but neither are particularly elegent, and I was hoping to learn from your experience. We're trying to skip ahead a few iterations to more advanced sumo techniques in our earliest (...) (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Point new-guy to resources?

Hi Robert, Perhaps you meant to send this out to a more general newsgroup, but, since you are here... (SMART is a Seattle Mindstorms group) David Schilling has told me about a robot built in rtlToronto which has the gearbox you described. You can (...) (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Point new-guy to resources?

Hello, all. Several friends and I are beginning a sumo competition in Denver. I've seen references to a couple of things that are very interesting, and am looking for more info: 1> Shifting transmissions- low mode for push, high mode for search. Is (...) (23 years ago, 22-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Maxwells Demons - official rules

Thanks for the rules, David. Do let us know when you plan to run this type of event again. Is this something we can expect to see more of at SMART meetings? Gus (23 years ago, 20-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  March Meeting Reminder

Just a reminder that the next SMART meeting is coming up in a couple of weeks. If you haven't started building a robot for the mini challenge, now is the time to at least start thinking about it. The meeting is Saturday March 31st, at 2pm, in the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Maxwells Demons - official rules

A number of people have asked me to post the rules for a robot competition that we had at my place in January of this year. The competition is called "Maxwell's Demons" after the imaginary quantum physics entity that tries to separate all the hot (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: SteerBot page on lugnet

(...) Thank you! Since my original posting I have added an animated GIF of the robot going around my test track. This animated GIF was made from a QuickTime .mov file. This was my first attempt at making animated GIFs. They are pretty cool but they (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SteerBot page on lugnet

(...) Wow! A wonderful description of an incredible robot. Thank you for posting that! -- David Schilling (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  SteerBot page on lugnet

Hi Everyone, I have finally gotten around to finishing a LUGNET web page on my SteerBot, the same robot you saw at the first SMART meeting back in January. Take a look and let me know what you think. (URL) Gus (23 years ago, 15-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart) !

  Re: Details of second SMART meeting and mini-challenge

(...) I can tell you that there is a very good chance that sumo will return at the next WORKSHOP 3D Challenge, as it was well-subscribed and very popular at the last one! If you aren't on our mailing list, yet, you can subscribe at (URL) C. Freeman (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART - Meeting

(...) Hi Sebastian, That's my edge tracker. Currently there are no building plans or code available on the net. I have meant to write something about it but have not gotten around to it. I will. Once I get something written along with some photos (...) (23 years ago, 22-Feb-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Wishful thinking, but...

Does anyone have a Mindstorms they might want to sell for less than it's weight in Gold? I thought I had a deal for one online, but it has fallen thru, so I am hoping for mercy from my fellow LUGNET members... I am in Seattle, but will gladly pay (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Details of second SMART meeting and mini-challenge

Sorry for the delay in not getting this out sooner. Our next SMART meeting will take place on March 31st, at the Bellevue Public Library, in room 1, at 2pm. This is the big room, so we won't have to turn anyone away! The mini challenge will be to: (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Video clips of SMART meeting

At the first SMART (Seattle Mindstorms And Robotic Techies) meeting, a number of people brought robots - many of them to participate in our mini-challenge of following the boundary between a black and white region, while others brought some of their (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics)

  SMART Meeting photos

Our first meeting certainly had an excellent turnout. Like David said, we even had to worry about fire code violations! Thanks to everyone who came and I hope that you found the meeting useful, educational, or at least amusing. Personally I had a (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  First SMART Meeting almost too successful!

We had our first SMART meeting at the Bellevue Public Library on Sunday. The turnout was amazing; approximately 35 people showed up! This was way beyond what we'd hoped for, and way beyond what the room could handle as well! There was some problem (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Meeting on Sunday

Just a last reminder about the first SMART meeting this Sunday at the Bellevue Public Library. The meeting starts at 2pm, and is in Room 3. When you go through the main front doors, the meeting rooms are in that corridor on the left side. Just in (...) (23 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Using RCXCC and NQC 2.2 and 2.3

When I went to the SRS meeting back in December, I talked to someone about using RCXCC (RCX Command Center) and the latest version of NQC. As many people who have used RCXCC knows, it is a great IDE but it's latest version available does not support (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: LeJos anyone

Hi Dennis, I have not tried LeJos but if you do get it to work I would love to hear how well it works. I looked at the web site for it and it seems to be a rather feature rich language. It even supports floating point math! My biggest concern is how (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  LeJos anyone

Hi all, I've been an NQC user for a couple years now. Now I want to "move up" so to speak and I'm looking at LeJos. Has anyone gotten this to fly and what are the steps to getting it to go? I've already got a 1.2.2 JDK on my laptop and an IDE so I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  First SMART meeting reminder

This is just a reminder that SMART (the Seattle Mindstorms And Robotic Techies) is having their first meeting on Sunday January 28th, at 2pm in the Bellevue Public Library. The first mini-challenge is to build a robot to track the edge of a line. (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.loc.us.wa.sea, lugnet.loc.us.wa.tac, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.robotics.events)

  SRS Meeting report

Hello SMARTies, I went to the Seattle Robotics Society meeting today. I brought my line tracking robot and puck gathering robot that I built for the Workshop 3D challenge for demonstrations and made a little plug for our SMART group and our upcoming (...) (24 years ago, 17-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Mini-challenges in 40 words or less

For SMART meetings, the mini-challenge events should always be very simple to state. As a rough guideline when thinking of one, see if you can keep it under 40 words, with at most one diagram to explain the challenge. This makes the rules general (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  The First Mini Challenge

Mini challenges for our meetings should be very simple – both to describe, and to build robots for. The first meeting’s mini challenge is to build a robot that will follow the edge of a wide black line. No turn will be sharper than a right angle. I (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Welcome to SMART

Welcome to SMART, the "Seattle Mindstorms And Robotic Techies". We'll be having our first meeting on January 28th, 2001, (a Sunday) at the Bellevue Public Library, Room 3, from 2-5pm. Anyone interested in building LEGO robots is invited to attend. (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  ------( Terms of use for lugnet.com )------

TERMS OF USE FOR LUGNET.COM OVERVIEW AND DEFINITIONS lugnet.com ("LUGNET") is a privately owned Internet site designed and run primarily for the benefit of those who enjoy building with, discussing, collecting, buying & selling, trading, and (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  ------( Welcome to lugnet.org.us.smart )------

Welcome to lugnet.org.us.smart, a LUGNET discussion group. CHARTER/PURPOSE: lugnet.org.us.smart (group): SMART: Seattle Mindstorms™ and Robotic Techies (U.S.A.) lugnet.org.us (group and hierarchy): U.S.-based user groups, clubs, and organizations (...) (24 years ago, 13-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact