Re: Point new-guy to resources?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:25:36 GMT

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Gustav Jansson wrote:

David Schilling has told me about a robot built in rtlToronto which has the
gearbox you described.  You can find them at:
  http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/

I've seen the pictures there, actually, and they referred me to David as
the builder thereof.  I've got a couple ideas about how to do it, but
neither are particularly elegent, and I was hoping to learn from your
experience.

We're trying to skip ahead a few iterations to more advanced sumo
techniques in our earliest matches. (-:

I have played a bit with using the IR port and light sensor to detect
objects in front to the rcx.

I'm actually going to use it to detect *behind* the sumobot, as I haven't
figured out what tactical decision the bot would make with "enemy
ahead," (since search and attack are the same mode for this one..) while
I'd want it to turn around with "enemy behind."

By looking at the difference in the light sensor reading between when
light is on v. off I can get an idea of how close/reflective an object is in
front.

Right. I've seen a couple of code examples and have a working prototype
based on the Optimized Proximity Detection
(http://www.mop.no/~simen/converse02.htm)  but the readings seem awfully
noisey.  Is that true in your experience?  Right now I monitor the
readings on teh RCX display window, and the IR pulses at 20Hz, so the
noise may just be an apparent effect due to the display update rate..

This only really worked for me when the ambient light was low (like
at home) and failed miserably at the event where there were huge picture
windows offering lots of ambinet light.

I have the sensor mounted in a long dark tunnel to reject as much ambient
light as possible.. I'm hoping that this will dramaticly reduce the chance
of the sensor being blinded unless it happens to be looking out said
window.

You can look at the website of Workshop3D to get some photos or our last RCX
challenge here in Seattle which did include a sumo event.

Finally found that yesterday- exactly the sort of thing we're looking for.
More detail on the bots themselves would be nice, but you can't have
everything right? (-:

Actually, one of our players lives up your way, so I'm sure you'll see
more of us.  Your code-only tasks are particularly interesting, and I'm
sure a couple of us will jump in for challenge 3 when it comes along.

  Rob Deis                  "Let the people know beforehand what the law
  MiB3347                      is and what they are to expect."
  rdeis@io.com                              -- 18th Congress, Rec. 75