Re: Point new-guy to resources?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:47:26 GMT

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, David Schilling wrote:
Phil also entered
another very interesting sumo robot this year - one with a ram that comes
out to push the competitor in the case where they are otherwise locked in a
stalemate.

Now there's an interesting idea.. but I'm out of sensors. )-:

One of the
most interesting challenges in building a robot like this is to figure out
just how to do the gear shifting, so I'm not going to spoil your chance to
learn an incredible amount by just telling you.

Aww.. (-:  Actually, one of our guys is doing just that.  I've had a
couple of ideas, but they're kludgy. Our first match ruleset permits only
peices from a single RIS (plus one motor and one toch sensor), which has
made things very, *very* interesting. The ruleset also permits damaging
the enemy model (though not the bricks) but thus far we've found it very
difficult to create a weapon out of LEGO that does significant damage to
LEGO...

I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with in your advanced sumo
competition.  While simple enough for beginning robot builders, just pushing
the other guy is pretty boring.

Quite.  Some of our more interesting concepts include:
- Forklift that activates upon detection of enemy to reduce traction
and/or flip opponent
- Passive lift that is actuated by collision with the enemy bot (this is a
primitive attempt at the judo concept, but the motivation was in creating
a lift that didn't require motors or sensors to use..)
- Threat detection radar (turn around! he's behind you!)
- Rubber-band powered battering ram (neat idea, *very* slick mechanism,
but ineffective.)
- A number of search/turn/timeout algorithms

Of course as I mentioned, there are many other things you could try as well!
The main thing to remember is to keep your robot as simple as possible; the
more things you add to it, the more modes of failure it will exhibit.

Yup- we've seen that already.  When we were first hashing this out the bot
that was smartest about table navigation always won- to heck with weapon
systems. Once we allowed the third motor, bots with weapons were able to
navigate much better and things have shifted more in their favor.

We've got a web "repository," but it's far from organized into a
site. (couple movies in the "contest" directories, though..) feel free to
poke around:
http://www.spectral-imagination.com/shane/lego/

  Rob Deis                  "Let the people know beforehand what the law
  MiB3347                      is and what they are to expect."
  rdeis@io.com                              -- 18th Congress, Rec. 75