Re: Point new-guy to resources?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 03:31:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Gustav Jansson writes:
Hi Robert,
Perhaps you meant to send this out to a more general newsgroup, but, since
you are here...  (SMART is a Seattle Mindstorms group)

David Schilling has told me about a robot built in rtlToronto which has the
gearbox you described.  You can find them at:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/
David, can you point more specifically to the robot that has this gearbox?

  Actually it was me (David's little Brother) who built it and David came
from Seattle to program it.
The reason I made it with a transmission is because it was too slow the
first time I built it and I knew that if I left it like that, the other
robot would push me off the table before I even got going. So I needed to
make it go faster, but I didn’t want to sacrifice the power that it had when
it went slow.
It had a worm gear and 24T for low gear and the shifter was off the 8448
Supercar. I had to have two transmissions because it steered like a tank. It
used three 24T clutch gears and a worm gear to shift. The reason I used
three clutch gears is because one slipped too much.
It used touch sensors to monitor the edge of the table and touch sensors
behind the bumpers to detect the other robot and know when to shift into low
gear. It was very challenging to make and took me about 3 months to complete
(it was my first project).  It was my first ever Lego competition and it
ended up in first place winning all but one match.
I really enjoyed the Sumo competition but sadly the rtl Toronto club decided
to not have the Sumo in future competitions anymore :<

phil:)