Subject:
Notes from second SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 04:57:21 GMT

The second SMART meeting just is just over, and we had a terrific time!
Quite a few people tried out the mini-challenge of locating a heavy block on
a table.  And most of them were even successful!  (Though my own entry
wasn't, perhaps I was overly ambitious in my design.)  You can find some
pictures at: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3980

There were some other robots, besides the mini-challenge ones that people
brought as well.  The one that intrigued me most was one that climbed a rope.

We came up with a lot of ideas for new mini challenges, and will be using
these for the next meetings.  If anyone has any other ideas, please feel
free to post a message on this group with them, or bring them to the next
meeting.  We'll add them to the list.  At each meeting we'll vote for what
will be the following meeting's mini challenge.

The next meeting will be on Saturday May 19th, 2pm, at the Bellevue Public
Library, room 1.  We decided against the final Saturday of the month this
time because it falls on Memorial Day weekend.  We'll go back to the last
Saturday in July.

This meeting's mini-challenge was so well received that the members
attending voted to try a variation on it for next time.  The next mini
challenge will be to design a robot to:

WALK around a table without falling off, look for a heavy, reflective
object, and stop next to it.  You may not have rotating wheels touching the
table at any time (though locked wheels, for traction, are allowed).

The object will be covered with reflective tape, (you can use a bicycle
reflector to get a vague idea of what will be used) so that you can actively
search for the object.  Also, other actions besides walking are acceptable.
Shuffle, wobble, whatever.  Just no rotating wheels!

Good luck with your attempts at this next mini challenge.  And please don't
be afraid to bring robots you that don't work perfectly.  You've probably
learned a lot building them, and others can learn from them as well.

Hope to see everyone there!

--
  David Schilling