Re: Length of Diagonal Spreadsheet (Now in PDF format!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 04:54:26 GMT

Thank you everyone who either offered to make a PDF file or went ahead and
made one and mailed it to me.

Here is the PDF version of the spreadsheet.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GJansson/Diagonals/legogearsanddiagonals.pdf

I suggest that you print it out and try out some of the diagonals.

For the new 12 and 20 tooth gears, there often doesn't even exist a good
vertical or horizontal way of laying out the gears.  For example, lets say
you want to mesh a 20 tooth with a 40 tooth gear.  The ideal spacing is 3.75
LEGO Units.  With a quick glance at the chart I found as many as 4 possible
diagonal arrangements.

The chart is also designed to find acceptable diagonals that can be used for
beams.  Everyone knows about the 3:4:5 right triangle combinations, but did
you know that you can also place a beam at the diagonal of a horizontal
offset of 6 LEGO Units and a vertical offset of 3.6 LEGO Units?  The
diagonal will have a length of 7 with an error of -0.29% of one LEGO unit
(that is .0029 LEGO Units!)  Besides this one I found several more,
especially when you can accept horizontal and diagonal lengths which include
a half LEGO Unit.

Enjoy!
Gus Jansson