 Robotics / 14996
Re: Length of Diagonal Spreadsheet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 04:49:11 GMT

Gustav Jansson wrote:

Thanks for the link to your gear spacing site.  That is sort of what I was
looking for though in my chart I aimed at being more general then just a
list of workable gear spacing.  My diagonal measurements can also be used to
find workable beam diagonals.

Yes - I have such a table too - but I generated it with a program that
automatically rejects unusable combinations to generate a small list
of useful diagonals.

The way I used percentages in my chart is perhaps not clear and, I admit, a
bit unstandard.  The percentage represents a fractions of one LEGO Unit, not
the entire distance.  So when I say en error of 5% then that means 5% of one
stud length (I call LEGO Unit).

Ah!  That makes more sense.  So you mean errors of 0.05 studs - that's a bit
limiting I think - with an error as big as 0.1 studs, the meshing is still
usable in most cases.

One reason why I show percentages in my
chart, as opposed to just stating, what works and what doesn't, is because
for different applications different tolerances are acceptable.  I let you
be the judge.

Right - that's why I show the actual error in stud-units - so you can decide
whether you can tolerate more error in order to simplify construction or
something.  I also sorted them by size of error so you don't have to search
a large table of bad meshings to find the good ones.

Like someone else said, the 12 tooth is a double bevel gear, as is the 20
tooth gear.  They can both be used very well as spur gears.  The unusual
thing about these gears is the radius.  The 12 tooth gear has a radius of
.75 LEGO Units and the 20 tooth gear has a radius of 1.25.

Yes - once I realised you were talking about those rare double-bevel parts, I
remembered that I had a couple of them in my collection. I'd completely forgotten
about them. (They were consigned to my "Weird parts that don't belong in any other
place" storage bin :-)

The tricky thing about them is that you can get different useful meshing radii
by sliding them further along the axle.

I wish Lego had produced a 2-stud radius 32t gear to fill the gap between 24 and 40.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>