Subject:
First SMART Meeting almost too successful!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 05:22:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

We had our first SMART meeting at the Bellevue Public Library on Sunday.
The turnout was amazing; approximately 35 people showed up!  This was way
beyond what we'd hoped for, and way beyond what the room could handle as
well!  There was some problem in the parking garage, and so the fire
department was already in the building.  With a room occupancy of only 16
people, we were told to asked over half the participants to leave.
Fortunately another room was also available, so we were able, instead, to
split our group between the two rooms, not cause the library to be fined,
yet still have our meeting.  Unfortunately this meant I wasn't able to meet
everyone.

This will NOT be a problem for the next meeting, since we've already
reserved a much bigger room.  The next meeting will be on March 31st, in
Room 1 of the library.  (Maximum occupancy over 100.)  Watch this group for
a followup message with more details.

At yesterday's meeting there were a number of people who built and brought
their edge following robots.  I was very amazed at how different all the
designs were.  A very fine job done by everyone!  I don't know if I got a
chance to see all the robots, but there was one that used the scout to
follow the line, one that had a light sensor that was swept back and forth
along rails to watch the line, one that pivoted around one wheel and then
the other to follow the line, one that steered using a large turntable, one
that had a light sensor attached to the rack used in a rack and pinion
steering, and possibly some others.  Very impressive, all of them.  (And
appologies to anyone's creation that I forgot to mention.)

I was only able to take a handful of pictures.  You can find them at:

I hope everyone had a great time, and we look forward to seeing you all
again in March!

--
  David Schilling