 Robotics / 14828
Re: David Schilling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 04:40:43 GMT

Oh I see. thanx....good luck!

In lugnet.robotics, David Schilling writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Andy Gombos writes:
Looks like a form of the Killough platform on Leo Dorst's site.  The rods appear
to provide a 'shell' to keep the blue base from getting stuck in the v area.
There are movies of the motion on Doug Carlson's site.  I do not have any links
handy, but they should be on 'the website'. :)  Anybody have any more info than
this?

Andy

Eric Sophie wrote:

This has an unusual drive-train, I'd like to see what i does and how it moves.

Wow, I never thought I'd see my name in a subject line!

I built the Killough platform for the March SMART meeting mini-challenge.
(SMART is the Seattle Mindstorms and Robotic Techies group.)

The basic idea was to build a robot to wander around a table, without
falling off, and stop beside a heavy object.
(See http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/?n=15 and a follow-on note
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/?n=23 for details about the meeting and
mini-challenge)

I've wanted to build a Killough platform for a long time, and here was
finally a reason to do so.  The greatest challenge was keeping the robot on
the table.  I built the 'shell' to act as a one time, 360 degree touch
sensor - it rests atop a light sensor, and when the robot runs into the
heavy object, it is pushed off, thus changing significantly the light sensor
reading, and the robot will stop.

Sorry I don't have a movie of it working, (someone else just posted a
reference to their page where they have a movie, my robot is very similar)
but I will be posting further pictures and a more detailed description in
the SMART group in the next few days.

--
David Schilling