Re: When the world was young - thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:05:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
Well the first turn of burning oil damage would be more than the rest
because the oil is causing the flame to be hotter, lets say a 2d6.

Well, the problem is that if you've got that same acre of oil that you're
igniting with a 5000-degree blow-torch, the far corner of the acre that
you're igniting (when it finally catches) isn't going to be at the same
5000-degree temperature. However, *within* the small area that you're
lighting with the torch, it'll be slightly *more* than 5000-degrees because
you'll have the heat of the oil *plus* the heat of the torch. Hence, I'd
say: the oil field does a 1d6 per each 'blok-mass' of oil there is, which
*combines* within the cone of the igniting flame (or any flame successively
cast therein) for extra damage.

Hence:
Joe's dragon spews a 2-blok mass of oil over an area of 2d6. Dave has 2
units within the range, now looking like tar-babies. Joe takes a 2nd dragon
and shoots out a flame that encompases one of Dave's troops with 3d6 fire
damage. The doubly-covered troop now takes 2d6 fire damage from the oil and
3d6 fire damage from the 2nd dragon, making for 5d6 fire damage, most likely
turning him into a well-toasted marshmallow troop. The 2nd of Dave's troops
takes the 2d6 damage from the oil, but is safely out of range of the 2nd
dragon's 3d6 fire, so only takes 2d6 worth of fire damage.

Then rest of the turns could just have normal 1d6 fire damage on the areas
that have something to burn.  We could even state how long grass burns verses
a tree.  But sand and rock should only burn for the first turn that the oil is
ignited.

Actually, it looks like we can ignore some of this argument:

"Objects soaked in gasoline burn at 4d6 as soon as they are exposed to heat.
Jet and rocket fuels burn at 5d6, nuclear and plasma fuels at 6d6.  The fuel
quickly burns off, and the object's Burn Level automatically loses 1d6 per
turn as above, until it reaches its normal maximum."

And sadly enough:
"Any die that comes up a one on the Fire Damage Roll means that the fire
died down one level (it loses 1d6 from its Burn Level for every die that
comes up one). ... If the Burn Level is reduced to zero, the fire has gone
out.  If the burning victim jumps in a lake or is in airless space or is
otherwise submerged in some liquid (excepting liquids like molten lava or
gasoline), the fire goes out.

"Any die that comes up a five or a six on the Fire Damage Roll means that
the fire blazed up one level (its Burn Level gains 1d6), limited to the
object's maximum Burn Level.  How hot a fire can burn is determined by the
size of the object burning.  An equipment-sized object, like a book or a
chair, burns at a maximum of 1d6.  A minifig-sized object, such as a Trooper
or a whole pile of books, burns at a maximum of 2d6.  Large objects, such as
trees, libraries, and FireTruks, burn at a maximum heat of 3d6."

But even worse:
"If a fire is started on a large flammable object like a forest or a Roman
slave galley, the whole thing doesn't go up all at once - the fire takes a
little while to spread.  On large flammable surfaces, a fire spreads
horizontally by as many inches per turn as it has d6es in its Burn Level.
It spreads twice this fast upward and half this fast downward.  It is not a
good idea to get too close to a fire - the flames extend for one half inch
around the object at full strength; they lose 1d6 of Burn Level for every
half-inch further from the object."

3 more reasons NOT TO USE SO MUCH FIRE!

I was trying to agree that that was a solution, but that there was another
option as well.  Which apparently you don't like the conscept of pumped up
troopers running into each other.  Picture Joe's Dragon Lord at 100cp and a
normal trooper at 100cp one breathing fire while the other laughs.

The problem is generally that units with ridiculous CP's are just stupidly
powerful, IE Joe's Dragon, etc. 50 CP is right around the point where a
trooper is 'too powerful'. In fact, with our standard "no more than 2
improvements per stat" guideline, a TL2 trooper can't really get much beyond
30 CP without adding things like extra appendages, various alternate
movement types (IE flight/hover flight/burrowing/swimming/etc), weapon mods,
or SP's. For standard troopers it's a bit much.

To put things in perspective point-wise, I believe we had roughly 1000 CP
armies (read *total* armies) in the last TL2 game we had, and that was only
2 armies on the board. So the combined pointage on the board during *this*
game was roughly 3 times the size of the last TL2 game we had. Plus we got
SP's to slow things down.

Maybe we should create a penality for ranged attacks.  I would love to see
more CC battle damage.

There are penalties for ranged attacks, but they're not very effective.
Honestly, I'd like to see Mike change the rules on 'em. Currently:

"A fast-moving or distant target is more difficult to hit, and stationary
objects are easier to hit. A unit or object that has not moved for a Round
or more is targeted at +1 to Skill.  A unit that is moving quickly is
targeted at -1 to Skill for every full 6" it moved on its last turn.  If a
unit is moving quickly when it makes its attack, it fires at -1 to Skill for
every 6" that it moves during its turn.  A unit firing at a target 15" away
or more has -1 to Skill, and an additional -1 for every additional 5" of
distance beyond 15".  If a unit attacks a target that is both distant and
fast-moving, only the larger of the two Skill Penalties applies."

I'd probably prefer that *both* skill penalties apply. Also note that your
portal-casting-guys probably never succeeded roll-wise had we scored it
correctly. The massive conglomeration of troops and fire blocked the mage's
vision to their target, so they were already at a -5 to skill for each
portal they casted; not to mention that I think the shortest distance portal
was 32" away, which means there was a -8 or even a -9 to skill in some
cases. Given that I think you said their skill was 1d6, you'd never have
made any of the skill rolls necessary...

DaveE