Re: When the world was young - thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 19:34:47 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
Oh, I meant the magic spear that Joe picked up. The one that severely
encumbered his masculinity :)

Just for the record, that was my *fig's* masculinity that was compromised...

Shaun would've been cackling in triumph-- oh the sheer joy he would've had
to see that happen to a fig dressed as a Ninja :)

Actually, the Dragon Oil did *more* damage than the dragon's breath.  Since
the dragon oil was the same as greek fire, it did a very cozy 4d6 worth of
damage.  I didn't have to buy damage with my SPs, since technically Dragon
Oil doesn't do any damage.  Once iginited by fire or even your chain
lightning, well that's a different story.  I know, I know - I can see the
look on your face from here - yet another loophole.

Oh, my point was basically that if you lit the flame with 12d6 damage, the
*rest* of the flame isn't at the same intensity as the *igniting* flame,
it's at whatever intensity it should be at to start with. But you're right--
looking at the rules for "objects covered in gasoline", it should've done
4d6 damage right off the bat once ignited.

I think I would probably say that it can't be "bought" in area SP's, tho. I
would argue instead that it gets bought just like regular mass, in 1-blok
increments, which (when translated to plates) turns into 24 little 1x1
plates. In the end, it probably means you cover less area on average, but it
would've limited the dragon oil to a constant blob of roughly 168 plates
instead of 2d6 area.  Oh, wait, actually you had 2 SP's for duration on the
create matter too, so never mind... uh... It would cover a radius of 6
plates => 2". Not that big, I guess.

I guess what I'm getting at is that all magic is not created equally.
Because of this, things like influence and *potentially* dangerous effects
will almost never be used because they are either too expensive or just not
useful based on how you buy them or, in the case of influence, how
inexpensive the resistance is to buy.  Ultimately, they will always give way
to immediate, "straight forward" effects...which means SPs just become a
mechanism to build a weapon with open-ended range/area and damage.  There
would still be a few exceptions, like portal, but, to me, SPs are a way to
be creative and add a *ton* of dimension to a game, so we should figure out
a fair way to patch them.  I think a GM could go a long way to fairly adust
things based on his/her view of the world so that while the accounting may
not be balanced, the relative power/usefullness is.

I wholeheartedly agree. Seems to me that each team kind of had a slightly
different expectation on what was 'fair-game' going in, which would be
greatly helped by a GM. If someone's building stuff that's too powerful,
they can be toned down, and likewise people who are building stuff that's
too weak can be told to bulk up their troops...

DaveE