Re: When the world was young - thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:09:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
None of my troops exceeded the 50 CP limit.  The ones that might have seemed
to surpass this only did so because I added in the cost of their horses (they
were cavalry, after all!), which technically would actually by scored as
separate creatures (and are, for the purposes of attacks, "autonomous").  A
trooper riding a dragon, for example, wouldn't count the dragon's cost in his
own. Anyway, each of my troops, plus all his/her equipment/armor/skills/etc,
was under the 50 CP mark.

We considered this during construction. I was reminded of Neil's uber-cool
mounted knight whose horse could run fast and cast portal, while the rider
could cast crazy-powerful spells. So in order to avoid being accused of
cheating, we made sure that the combined cost of both mount and rider didn't
exceed 50 CP's. Actually, for our cavalry (all 3 of them), it wasn't even a
problem. They came in at like 39 CP's.

Admittedly, the total of everything that I scored up came to almost 2300 ...

Ours all told came in at 2,993. Until we found out we incorrectly scored
some of our magic users. The 'revamped' score was 2,951.

but they weren't all supposed to be used, sillies!  Don't even tell me you
guys fielded my 130 CP of peasants and slaves ... they were designed for use
in a game with lines of communication and chains of command.

I think we couldn't find your peasants, slaves, or scouts. In fact, we only
scored one of your ballista's because the other 2 weren't scored out on your
sheets. I just whipped up points out of my rear for your elephant-ballista.
So chances are your troops were much closer to the 2,000 vicinity.

Now, who's the sicko who fielded an 89 CP combatant?  Was that you, Duggan?

Actually, I guess Joe had mentioned that he wanted at least 1 'uber-cool'
unit per team. I vaugely remember it being mentioned, but I think it got
lost in the shuffle somewhere. Anyway, I didn't remember when scoring our
troops-- but I assumed that your mage was your "super-cool" guy. I guess not
tho :)

Anyway, suffice to say I think the troops as they stood were slightly
differently matched-- As they stood, Shaun's army was no match for either
other army, and Joe's army would've eventually cleaned us out no matter what
(although it would've ended in a partial stalemate for a while since we had
some fire-proof units). Definitely exposed some nitpicks in the rules, and
probably the need for a GM who could make sure people were a bit more in
line with each other...

DaveE