Re: When the world was young - thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:34:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
Just s quick FYI...I haev the write-up done, but I can't link the pics in
until I get home tomorrow :(

Woohoo! Can't wait to see the writeup :) [I just want to see mention of the
spear that Joe managed to grab]

1)  REMATCH.  When and where?  I propose that we have a rematch where
    NOTHING is changed troop or scenery wise - but I guess we'll need some
    more magic items.

Fine with me...the next two weekends look bad, but thereafter, I seem to be
pretty open.

I think I'm pretty free... I have to find out what's going on for the last
weekend in May (I may be busy), but otherwise I don't have any plans at the
moment for weekends in the near future.

3) What's the point of a cap?  89?  That's not even close to 50!  2300?
That's not even close to 2000.  54 is forgivable, 2050 is too, but
seriously, what's the point of cap if it's going to be ignored, and if it's
going to be ignored, why didn't anyone tell our team? :)

Oh come now...it was only *one* unit and he was an easy target!

Easy *target* I suppose... I just can't believe we did 21d6 damage to him
and he lived :) Mental note-- next time shoot to incapacitate :)

In fact, the cap only pertained to normal units, not ballista.  Just think of
him as an organic ballista.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  (Okay,
the *real* story is that it just seemed silly to have a Dragon Lord that was
no more powerful than a bajillion other units on the field and after Shaun was
kind enough to hand over all of costing information, it no longer seemed
like it would be a problem).

Was he scored as a vehicle or as a creature? Theoretically it says that
things much larger than a horse should be scored using the vehicle rules,
which proved to be ... interesting. I tried scoring my golems & Trogdor that
way and they came out "similar" in nature. The armor was worse, but the move
rates were better, and the vehicle cost was a tad higher.

As for the ballista's being under the 50 CP cap, that wasn't much of a
problem :) They were *definitely* under the limit. I think one of Shaun's
ballista's would come in at roughly 23 CP (3 CP base vehicle cost + MKI mass
driver). Maybe tack on a few extra CP's for the ammo needed, but that
probably wouldn't be much more than 1 CP apiece. The slaves needed to power
it would be what... 2 CP apiece? So needs 3 slaves to load it (or 2 stronger
slaves), and someone to fire it, who would probably cost another 10 CP or
so. So... maybe around 40-50 CP all told?

4) Now that we all have some idea of the capabilities and what not -
perhaps the game will go a bit faster this time.

Actually, it would probably only go a little faster.

Heh, if anything it might even go slower :) We missed a bunch of rolls and
the like that I'd probably make sure to include if playing in a rematch :)

The true issue is that
having large armies is combersome in BW, unless you treat a grouping of
troops as a single unit (so they all move the same amount in the same
direction, attack the same thing and all share the same fate when attacked).
Otherwise we run into issues where we now have 20-odd different troops
taking oppertunity fire (each with there own hit/damage/defend rolls) on
every turn on each side, not to mention things like poision and duration
effects that cause you to roll for and track every single unit until it
wears off or the unit dies.  Sound familiar?

Yep. We cut corners lots of places in this game-- there were LOTS of rolls
for duration, skill, poison damage, etc that we just skipped. Theoretically
Joe should've rolled a seperate skill roll for every one of Wayne & Tom's
troops he incinerated with his massive blasts, etc. Not to mention that the
ground should've been burning in a few places and potentially dying out
and/or spreading according to fire rules...

My suggestion is that we do the rematch, exactly as is and then come up with
some mods to the rules concerning large armies for us to use in the future.
The handbook mentions some of this, but I haven't gone back to look it over
yet.

Yeah, we definitely need some ground rules on large armies like this. The
sheer volume of troops and magic spells going on for each player (ok, not as
much Tom & Wayne's army) were staggering. Probably would be better with:
- MUCH less magic proportional to the army size
- a lower overall CP limit
- less poison, fire, and area duration spells

DaveE