Re: When the world was young - thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 19:02:09 GMT

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
news:HE68oC.123n@lugnet.com...

Oh, I meant the magic spear that Joe picked up. The one that severely
encumbered his masculinity :)

Just for the record, that was my *fig's* masculinity that was compromised...

Yeah, we had throngs of troops waiting for that flame to go out before • they
were gonna make a move. Actually I think I'd retool how "dragon oil" • works, too:

It doesn't really make sense that the dragon oil does the *full* damage of
the flame that lit it. If I light an acre-oil field with a match • (miniscule
damage) versus with a welding torch (HUGE damage) it doesn't really affect
the strength of the overal acre of oil as it catches fire. I'd be more
tempted to say that each "mass" of oil does 1d6 fire damage (or maybe 1d6
per 2 considering that 2 SP's buys you 2d6 of fire damage). Also, I'd
suggest that it burns up on the turn after it's lit, no matter what. Maybe
the ground *underneath* catches fire that lasts, but that's a different
story.

Actually, the Dragon Oil did *more* damage than the dragon's breath.  Since
the dragon oil was the same as greek fire, it did a very cozy 4d6 worth of
damage.  I didn't have to buy damage with my SPs, since technically Dragon
Oil doesn't do any damage.  Once iginited by fire or even your chain
lightning, well that's a different story.  I know, I know - I can see the
look on your face from here - yet another loophole.  It does seem that you
would have to buy the appropriate damage at the point of creation *but* it
also seems that if it never ignites, then what's the point (in other words,
why spend considerable SP/CP on something the *might* happen versus spending
on something that *will*)?

I guess what I'm getting at is that all magic is not created equally.
Because of this, things like influence and *potentially* dangerous effects
will almost never be used because they are either too expensive or just not
useful based on how you buy them or, in the case of influence, how
inexpensive the resistance is to buy.  Ultimately, they will always give way
to immediate, "straight forward" effects...which means SPs just become a
mechanism to build a weapon with open-ended range/area and damage.  There
would still be a few exceptions, like portal, but, to me, SPs are a way to
be creative and add a *ton* of dimension to a game, so we should figure out
a fair way to patch them.  I think a GM could go a long way to fairly adust
things based on his/her view of the world so that while the accounting may
not be balanced, the relative power/usefullness is.

- Joe