Re: Brikwars at OurCon 04
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 00:18:15 GMT

I think the three hour time slots would work well for the game I have in mind.

What I've come up with so far is a TL2 game for mulitple players broken up
into three stages each consisting of three missions.  Each of these missions
can be done at the same time by different participants.  The participants
would control the good guys while NELUG would control the evil warlord and
monsters.  This will allow us to adjust our game play to let the
participants win without making it too easy for them.  I also like to design
games where the participants are working together and not fighting each other.

I haven't worked out a final draft, but here's how the game starts.

A Princess is running south into the woods to meet up with a small army of
troops returning from goblin hunting.  Her parents have been killed and
their castle is now in the hands of an Evil Warlord.  Her brother and the
surviving castle troops have been locked in the labyrinth with the Minotaur
(monster).

First stage:
Mission 1:
- Her Brother searches for the Minotaur's lair and the secret door inside
that leads into the castle.  In order to defeat the Minotaur, he will need
the magic armor rumored to be hidden in the labyrinth.  The labyrinth is not
a friendly place and he will need to survive the booby traps and things that
go bump in the night.

Mission 2:
- The Princess sends a squad of troops on horse back to the Mountain to find
the key that unlocks the secret door in the labyrinth.  At the mountain, the
troops will need to enter a dragon's (monster) lair to find the golden key
hidden in his stash of gold and gems.  With the key in hand the troops rush
to the entrance of the labyrinth.  There they will have to kill the two
guards and find her Brother.

Mission 3:
- The Princess knows she will need reinforcement to overcome the evil
warlord and recover her castle.  She sends a squad of troops to her ally in
the south with a letter asking for help.  The quickest way to her ally is
through the swamp where there are still goblins lurking.

Stage 2:
Mission 1:
- Her Brother has found the armor and now has the key in hand.  He must now
defeat the minotaur.  He has two squads of troops with him, but since they
are no match for the minotaur, the prince has ordered them to stay clear.
This will be a battle between heros each trying to weaken (hit points) the
other until one is dead.

Mission 2:
- The Princess sends a squad of troops to the ancient mages hut asking for
help.  The mage prefers his solitude and has enchanted the woods around his
hut to keep people out.  Many an undead creature wanders these woods and
only the bravest of troops can make their way through and return with the
mage alive.

Mission 3:
- The Princess having received reinforcements from her ally, sends her army
into the village outside of the castle.  She overcomes the army holding the
village and gathers more troops for her attack on the castle.

Stage 3: The Final assault:
Mission 1:
- The Princess has recruited many villagers and veteran warriors.  She
charges the gate hoping that it is still weak from the last attack.  She
hopes to enter the castle, but more she hopes to distract the evil Warlord
long enough for her Brother to defeat him from within.

Mission 2:
- The Mage has arrived with his apprentices.  They bombard the troops on the
wall with spells.

Mission 3:
- Her Brother has defeated the minotaur and is now sneaking into the castle.
He hopes to defeat the Evil Warlord and recover the castle.

Game Ends, the Evil Warlord is defeated and there is much rejoicing.

Now you notice that all of these missions end up with a happy ending.  That
is because I plan on adjusting the number of evil creatures attacking the
participants to let them just win each battle.  Nobody likes to lose.

To create this game I will need to size the layout so that I can have three
participants playing at the same time without them getting in each others
way.  I will also need to game test the different missions to make sure that
they can be completed and that they don't take longer than 3hours.

Anyone interested in doing this?  Or at very least to play a mission every
other week.  We can work with Mike to come up with Quikwars rules while we
play.  Heck even if we don't do the OurCon we could still have fun trying to
create this game.

Jonathan

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, John P. Henderson writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Mike Rayhawk writes:
And the name of this new game will be...

...drumroll...

"QuikWars."

Sweet!

FYI to all, according to Jeff Lawrence (the man to-be-in-charge), here are
the kinds of time slots to expect if planning a BW (or QW) game at OurCon '04:

"That is yet unclear.
What *I'm* pushing for is the option for 3,4 and 5 hour slots. Not to
say that a GM couldn't request a double-slot set, with good reason. Alec
and I did that, back in the day. We snorked two 4-hour slots back to
back, to have an 8-hour game with a 1 hour intermission for supper."

-Galactic Mediator Hendo