Re: June 2 Meeting in Lansing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 16:09:34 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Scott Sanburn writes:
Trevor,

Has everyone gone away for the holiday?  :^|  Where is everybody?  It's so
quite I can see tumbleweeds blow though the main street of this desert ghost
town.

Talk about 'holding down the fort'!

It always goes in cycles, I am sure it will pick up next week.

I am here, I am suffering from entertaining wife syndrome, so it is really
hard to do much (She is in the shower right now)

I had a chance to look at that fusion reactor building, Trevor, but the top
of it is not it is coming in for some reason.

Scott S.
--

The dat I sent you does not have a top built yet.  The second one I sent you
(which also doesn't have a top) has only one reactor and one turbine
housing.  I have built my power building to that scale, but have also added
the boiler.  What happens in fission CANDU (Canadian) reactors is that the
heavy water is needed to make the reaction work.  If the water is lost, then
the reaction stops.  No melt down.  The heavy water becomes super heated and
is run though coils that are submersed in a vat of regular water.  The heat
is transfered and the regular water boils and creates a large amount of
steam.  This steam is used to drive electrical turbines.  So in reality,
although there is much much more to the process than that, the power
generating process in a fission reactor is no different than old boiler
generators.  And that is essentially how a fusion reactor would work
(provided the process is efficient enough and produces way more than the
energy put into it to start the fusion process.  Right now we get about 50%
out of what we put it, which is not bad considering how much we have learned
in the process).  The fusion process produces the heat of a small star, and
creates A LOT of thermal energy.  The cooling water would be used to heat
regular water in the same process as the fission reactor.  If there are
better processes involved, I don't know them because I understand fission
better than fusion.  Took a course on it in school.

:^)  The tower which I have built sits on the main building roof and is a
tapered/conical structure.  In reality the steam water would be circled
around the inside of the tower and the heat would be extracted into the
general atmosphere, thereby condensing the water.  The farther up north you
are, the less need you have for a tower.  (There are no towers in Canada)
We just dump the water into a lake because the water used for generating
steam does not contain radioactive isotopes.  Anyways, for a colony we would
have to assume that if these are largery pre-engineered designs and we
cannot assume that there will be a large body of water at the site.  Water
has to be processed and reclaimed.  Which is what Scott's facility is all
about:  Water reclamation and waste processing.  This is what one would
expect in a colony in my mind.  I am open to other suggestions, of course.

PS: the interior detail for my power building is way better than what was
sent in the .dat.  I'll get some pics made, or I'll bring it to next weeks meet.

~Trev