Re: Roberson Toy Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 01:05:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, James Trobaugh writes:
Are you sure they are talking about charging clubs for tables? Most shows
charge the vendors for tables but never the clubs. A don't think a club
should ever have to pay to be at a show since the clubs are what draw the
people to the show. I'm guessing that the fee is just for vendors.

jt

James -

I agree.  However, after speaking the the show's organizer, the verdict is that
they charge for clubs and dealers equally in an effort to have the show act as
a fund-raiser for the museum where it is held.  I attended this particular show
with a single table some years ago, and that was fine to absorb the fee since I
was not technically an LTC.  The same fund-rasing premise was in effect then as
well, and I had no problem supporting a museum that I had attended since I was
a child.

I think I'll ask one of the other N gauge clubs that's attended there over the
past few years to see what response they got.  Otherwise, we'll seek out other
area shows that agree with our assertion that clubs draw customers for the
vendors.

I don't want to proceed without agreement from LUCNY, but I'd like to get more
assertive with the organizer and stress this point or withdraw our
participation.  I remember taking to you about NGLTC's participation at a local
GATS show a couple of years back, and I starting to convince myself to start
acting on the offensive as you guys have.

Thanks,
Ed

------------------
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
http://www.ngltc.org

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Ed McGlynn writes:
An update -

I've been in contact with the show's organizer, and the date is confirmed
for Sunday, January 12th, from 9am until 3pm or so.  Tables are $18 each (!)
and we had planned on four to replicate the very decent layout we had at the
Nov. 02 meeting.

I must admit that I'm struggling with paying $72 for a club layout for 6
hours in a city that's not convenient for nearly half of us.  Since the
show's geared mostly towards dealers and clubs, I'll try and negotiate a
lower fee for us, admission passes, etc., but we'll have to see.  The
organizer may/may not realize what a LEGO layout can do for his show, but
who knows, eh?

I still think it would be a blast, so I'll pursue it further and get back
with more details next week or so.

-Ed