Re: Roberson Toy Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 00:08:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Ed McGlynn writes:
James -

I agree.  However, after speaking the the show's organizer, the verdict is that
they charge for clubs and dealers equally in an effort to have the show act as
a fund-raiser for the museum where it is held.  I attended this particular show
with a single table some years ago, and that was fine to absorb the fee since I
was not technically an LTC.  The same fund-rasing premise was in effect then as
well, and I had no problem supporting a museum that I had attended since I was
a child.

A worthy cause...yes
But, it's the premise, not the instance, that matters

I think I'll ask one of the other N gauge clubs that's attended there over the
past few years to see what response they got.  Otherwise, we'll seek out other
area shows that agree with our assertion that clubs draw customers for the
vendors.

We may need to look beyond Train shows at first...
Maybe we can talk to some of the local toy/hobby shops...
I'll get on that (although I'm probobly not one of the best to present these
ideas, as I am a, and I HATE the word, teenager)

I don't want to proceed without agreement from LUCNY, but I'd like to get more
assertive with the organizer and stress this point or withdraw our
participation.  I remember taking to you about NGLTC's participation at a local
GATS show a couple of years back, and I starting to convince myself to start
acting on the offensive as you guys have.

Bully Ed!  (I mean that in the Teddy Roosevelt way, not the bad way)
Thanks for acting as an organizer on our end for this event!  It's great to
have one voice (especially in Wayne's absence, we need new leaders)

Now, to counter act my Ra-Raing...
I'm looking forward to this show after the experience this past weekend.
Running a layout of my own, with all the problems and questions, was a big
boost to my morale (people, as I've predicted, were mightily impressed).[1]
I'd hate to see this fall by the wayside...
If we can't run a layout at the Binghamton show, any chance that we can pull
something together with a local retailer quick?  Whatdaya think?
Maybe we'll just have to have another meeting...my garage is always open.

Thanks,
Ed

No, Ed, Thank You
-John Rudy

[1]  I'll have picture forthcoming, after I finish digesting my Turkey.