 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8849
Re: rtlToronto14 AC issue and entrants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:23:51 GMT

Calum.  how dare you try to force how I should build or program my
robot.

The same reasons why we say you can't drop 1200 pieces or be larger than 18"
cubed.

I care if it gives an unnecessary benefit that everyone else doesn't have.
Like, we don't allow John Barnes sensors because not everyone has them and
they're overly powerful.

If some people have AC, then many building concerns are a non issue (the ones
mentioned before) enough that they bother people who don't.

That said, I honestly don't mind the AC issue, because I think there's more than
enough AC RCXes out there.  You can get them on EBay, via Spectrum, the Lego
Store, Lego Shop at Home, etc.  In rtl10 we allowed Trevyn to use a 2.0 with a
handmade adapter, because it was functionally the same as a 1.0 with AC.  So,
I'm okay with that if the majority of the group is okay with it.

the only grievance that comes close to being even a BIT valid as to
external power is the entanglement issue. PERIOD.

No, it's a serious issue.

if you want to enforce the entanglement issue, then you should change
the rule to suggest that you are not allow to have your "tail" entangle
another robot.  Bruce said it best. if my ONE wire trailing out the back
of the stationary robot looks like it might be in the way of iain, who
will build an autonomous invasion robot... then I can pick up the wire.

No, actually, you'll be building a mechanism to keep the wire up over other
robots.  Because there should be no human intervention.

I agree with Steve:

"could be replaced with something that doesn't say "External Power" is not
allowed, but says that "cables that can tangle other robots" are not allowed."

So your robot MUST take care of it's own cables.  Not your hands, but the robot
itself.

Calum