 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8822
Re: rtlToronto14 AC issue and entrants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:13:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Wayne Young wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
Yes or No: AC adapters allowed.

I'm building a robot for rtlToronto14. As for AC adapters, heck no. That's not
being nice to those of you who don't know how to buy batteries, but robot
competitions are not about being nice. I for one will not be able to use AC
because I don't have an RCX 1.0, so why should I give anyone else that slight
advantage?

That isn't a good rationale for voting no.  That's like saying "no" to
allowing pneumatics because you don't have them.

To my mind, it's a perfectly good reason for saying no. Let's turn the tables
and suppose allowing AC was the norm. I come along and requested that AC *not*
be allowed because I can only use batteries. The response would likely have been
along the lines of "tough luck, life isn't fair either, get used to it." Well,
in this case, the precedent is on the no-AC side, and while I have the chance to
say "no", I am doing so.

I'm not entering so I have no official say.

We allowed ext. power for project x 'cause, well, the 'bots didn't move.

IIRC, I noticed in the vid for monkey bars that one was using ext. power. but
then there should have been no chance that bots would get entangled...

So I think it should come to the 'rule' that ext power is good only if it's
guaranteed that it won't foul other 'bots.

THat means, much like Chris and Steve's factory 'bot, if it doesn't move, then
is okay.  If it does, then not so much.

But then you might run into a problem like when Trev had the bridge 'bot with
the little scooter with the long RCX wires trailing behind on the middle table
that might foul other 'bots--if external power cords aren't allowed due the the
chance of fouling up competitors 'bots, what's the ruling on ROV's running off
the RCX, trailing long 'Exploration Mars' motor wires behind them?

Ooooh, the mind reels just thinking about it.

Dave K