 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8817
Re: rtlToronto14 AC issue and entrants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:53:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets wrote:

Since then, I have acquired (through Evil-Bay) 2 additional 1.0's, complete
with the power plug for just over $100 US, with about $15 US for shipping.
So that would make it a better deal than just an RCX block...

So far, knock on wood, both of my
"used" RCX's have performed great!!

I don't get why you're buying all these RCX's, and not building robots for the
competitions.  What do you use the RCX's for?

I'm not Ben, but mine are all destined for LDCC (either controlling trains, or
being boosters to get the signal to go farther, or being receivers for
accessories like turnouts and suchlike) or for independent trackside automation.
Robin's crossing gates at BF really wowed me, and unlike Chris Phillips' design
they use light instead of magnets... so that's another RCX use I have in
mind....

But no, this question is none of my business except to watch and learn. I will
say that in my opinion (which wasn't asked for, by the way) either decide that
external power sources *are* allowed (which would then include storing energy by
rasing a big weight in advance) or that they aren't.

Don't worry about WHY so much, just make the rule and stick to it.

Competitions have rules for many reasons. Safety is a big one, of course, but an
important one is in order to constrain designs and make the competition
something that many people can participate in or to shape the characteristics.