 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8829
Re: rtlToronto14 AC issue and entrants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:17:10 GMT

We allowed ext. power for project x 'cause, well, the 'bots didn't move.

IIRC, I noticed in the vid for monkey bars that one was using ext. power. but
then there should have been no chance that bots would get entangled...

So I think it should come to the 'rule' that ext power is good only if it's
guaranteed that it won't foul other 'bots.

No, because AC power also means you can be sloppy with control loops.  You can
brute force time instead of using clever mechanisms (Iain/Rob) or sensoring
everything (Chris, Bruce)

But then you might run into a problem like when Trev had the bridge 'bot with
the little scooter with the long RCX wires trailing behind on the middle table
that might foul other 'bots--if external power cords aren't allowed due the the
chance of fouling up competitors 'bots, what's the ruling on ROV's running off
the RCX, trailing long 'Exploration Mars' motor wires behind them?

This is why I was against the external battery box of Steve Hassenplug at
PipeRacers BrickFest.

Calum