 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8818
Re: rtlToronto14 AC issue and entrants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:59:25 GMT

What I don't undersatnd is why you're geting involved with this.

Want the honest reason.  The discussion regarding this either way (YES
vs NO) has been largely SUBJECTIVE without a whole lot of reason.  I would
like to hear some OBJECTIVE reasons and find out the pros and cons of using AC
power.  I would like the participants to qualify why they have chosen a yes or
no.  Is is just personal bias or does it have a good reason one way or another.

Besides, since this is an American-based web-site, I think I am entitled
to some freedom of speach and expression.  Oh and not to forget, but
I am a paying member of this site, so I think that should count for something.

You might have noticed that I have not put in my vote, and I will not
vote since I don't intend to take part.  Actually, there is a probability that
I probably can't participate due to having to work.

No, removing the batteries does not clear the firmware and programming - it
takes only a minute if you have your RCX easily accessable (by good machine
design).  A poor design would leave the RCX embeded in the machine,
inaccessable, so people could use the excuse "I need power because I can't get
at my RCX".

Embedded RCX aren't a good reason for having External AC power, so I completely
agree with your rationale there.

The alternate view on this is that the general consensus could be build a
smarter design that allows alternate sources of kinetic energy...ie multi-geared
assemblies, pneumatics, battery boxes, etc.

What about perpetual motion machines, Ben?  My robot is powered by a Finsrud,
how does that fit with this?  Is that okay?

Cool I hadn't thought about that.  Sounds neat.  Whatever floats your boat.

Ben