 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3314
Re: use of anagram fun is bad in lugnet.general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:29:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
As such, community members ought to be able to help
each other out in conforming to the norms without it generating a huge
backlash against "policing".
++Lar

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Tim Courtney writes:
Community policing is a good thing, I strongly believe this
-Tim

Both are saying the same thing and I couldn't agree more.  The idea that the
community takes care of itself is awesome, which is what we did, in our own
little NG, "Hey buddy, that might have been a wee bit of a faux pas..."  The
community took care of the issue.

I don't wish to add any fuel to this mixture, but do want to make a point
that might help present another point of view.

I read LUGNET through the web interface almost 100% of the time.  I have no
filtering enabled, so I see every newsgroup.  I have a lot of interests and
like to at least browse the titles of most messages.  I guess the point here
is that your "own little NG" is completely visible and available to anyone
reading LUGNET via the web.  A new visitor or a younger LEGO fan might be
reading the site the same way and would have had no warning about the
language being used in that post.

For the record I thought posting the anagram link was cool... I've tried it
and it creates some interesting results.  But the examples posted on LUGNET
were probably offensive to some.  I guess the question might be, "would you
use this sort of language in a work environment or in any group setting
where you didn't know everyone very well."  I think the rational answer
would be, "no."  You'd watch your language unless you were good friends with
everyone.  And in this case we are a group with a common interest, but with
many members who might take offense to something like that.

It wasn't until this hit some general group that things got nasty and the
big "C" Community Police stepped in.  To us, the issue was over but now the
proverbial sheep hit the fan...

Again I think it's a matter of perspective.  Within your 'group' the matter
may have been done.  But the problem was exposed to potentially everyone
whether he meant to or not.  I think it was right to have it dealt with at a
high level.

Personally, I would like to see a much more heavy handed approach return to
LUGNET... more like when it first started.  Remember, this was something
that made it appealing to both adults, parents and kids; the language and
tone of the site was well-controlled, unlike rec.toys.lego.

Just my thoughts.

All the best,
Allan B.