 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15979
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto21 Tentative Ruleset Published
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:48:33 GMT

On Wed, April 5, 2006 10:41 am, Calum Tsang wrote:
Actually, I don't care about the straight line thing.  I do agree with David's
original proposal that the string must be free moving through the robot at the
start.  Plus we discussed the fact we didn't want someone to wrap the rope up in
some photocopier like pulley system before the start.

Well, there are rules in there:

Fit a rope through the robot such that:
At the start of the round, the rope can be freely pulled out of the robot
without moving it

No knotting, tying or modification to the rope is allowed before the start of
the round.

Do you want another rule to say "don't use a photocopier like pulley system"?
Or is the first okay?  I'm always constantly in a battle to try and make the
rules light.  Chris and I were always of the opinion it should be like "five
rules and a handshake".    Some folks for some reason feel the need to show off
their brilliance and poke holes everywhere, but I'm not sure I want to counter
that with lawyerly text to cover every possibility.

Might I suggest a vague rule, stating your intent.  Such as "Robots should not
grasp the rope, or alter the rope, making it easier to grasp, before the round
begins".

Then, at the event, you can do the usual "if the crowd thinks you're grasping
the rope, it won't be allowed"

Maybe someone will create a "pulley system" that people don't object to.