 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15929
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto21 Tentative Ruleset Published
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:08:50 GMT

Brian Davis wrote:

Can someone figure out how much an RCX weighs
with two motors?

All masses in pounds (stupid scale):
  RCX with batteries =   0.56 - 0.60 (depending on batteries)
  Two light gearmotors = 0.13
  Two "old" gearmotors = 0.185
So an RCX with two motors is between 0.69 and 0.785 pounds. Not a lot of room in
there. BTW,
  AA-based battery box =    0.465
  "little" 9V-based box =   0.14
  Weight brick (love 'em) = 0.12

I do have to say that the lighter weight is interesting. I agree with Steve that
a 500g minisumo has little room for more than an RCX and two motors. But the
last minisumo I was in, there were four all-LEGO robots, two RCX based and two
battery box based... and they often beat the "sheet metal" variety.

Based on these results, and adding a third old gear motor,

I get 0.8375 LB

So, that leaves 0.1625 LB (1)(2) for sensors and parts. (3)

the more I see it, the more I LIKE the 1 lb rule!

beams and parts are not all that heavy, so 2 oz should be lots to bang
off a bot.(4)

Chris

1.  thats about 2.6 Oz.  OR to put it another way slightly more than an
average large-grade-A uncooked white EGG at room temperature.

2. 0.0737087601 kilograms

3. So, you could have 1 RCX, 3 OLD gear motors, AND enough weight left
for parts and sensors.

4. UNLESS your name is DAVE, and build MONSTER bots