 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15296
Re: Talking Point: seelking light sensors WAS -- Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto20 Draft Rules Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:57:01 GMT

On 26-Nov-05, at 3:05 AM, Chris Magno wrote:

Derek Raycraft wrote:
I have some bad news for you.

I did a quick test with the robots I moc-ed up.  I removed the 1x2
technic beam "shroud" I put in front of the light sensor, and I
built a dummy target light on a battery box.

Every run had the searching bot, prefer to seek out the dummy
light, and not the light sensor.

As well, putting that Shroud on my light sensor, completely
eliminated even a "reading" on the search bot.

Actually I would consider this good news.  I was getting concerned
about how I would distinguish between lights and light sensors.  I
knew if people shrouded them it would significantly reduce the
problem, but you can't count on people doing that.

I find a 1x2 technic beam with a 1/2 pin stuck in it lines up
perfectly with the sensor part of the light sensor.  If you want a
tighter focus for the sensor you can use longer pins.

Now I need to get back to my PHD theses, in psychology "Why Calum
Breaks His Own Rule and Makes Too Many Rules", in Engineering "The
Effectiveness of LEGO Light Sensors at Detecting Moving Sources in
the Context of Calum's Rule", and in Economics "How Calum's rule
stifles innovation", my latest sculpture "Caluming from the light",
my child rearing book "Molly Codling Hurts your Child's Development",
my religious pieces "Follow the Light" and "We're all bright here",
and finally my fan fiction "Calum / Chris the really story".

Or if other people could put forth their options on what we've
discussed it could save me a lot of time.  If most people are happy
with the rules as written then I won't bother pursuing this any
further.  Otherwise I'll continue with my argument that the game is
being unnecessarily restricted.

Thank you for speaking up,

Derek