 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15245
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto20 Draft Rules Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 03:57:48 GMT

On 22-Nov-05, at 10:33 PM, Calum Tsang wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Vitali Furman wrote:
I have three questions. First it says that the becon light is on
when the robot
is stopped? Does that mean the it can't be on while the robot is
moving around
or what? Or is it that it can only go on when another robots has
stopped it and
is trying to transfer a brick?

I feel the light should be on at all times, but like Calum I feel it
should be open for discussion.  First of follow up Calum's points.

In my opinion (and the way it's written now) the light has to be on
ONLY when
the robot is stopped.  It should NOT be on while the robot is
moving around.
Here's my reasons why:

1. No provision has been made to stop a robot remotely (ie, there
is no method of stopping a robot you want to deposit into), so you
need to know when a robot is stopped, in the hope that you can
align with the stopped robot and drop out a block.   If you don't
know when the robot is stopped, and you don't know how to stop a
robot, then how are you going to do anything with it?

Robots don't need to be stopped to transfer a brick, personally I'm
working on the principle that I'll more then likely have to transfer
while moving.  If the light is off that fewer robots I'll be able to
find to transfer to.

2. If you keep the light on all the time, then there are many light
sources to
chase around.  The chances of chasing a MOVING light source around
may be very
difficult.

Its not difficult to tell if a source is moving.  Detect light, stop,
wait a sec, detect light again, it stationary, if it's gone, it
moving.  And this is just one of many ways of doing it.

It is quite possible to be able to chase a moving light.  As I said
above I'm planning to be able to do that.

Now, that all said, some people, like Derek, feel the light should
be on all the time or up to you.   I'd rather it be either on all
the time, or the way it's stated now.  It shouldn't be up to you.

The arguments I made at dinner were:

-a robot that can't follow a moving light spots a light and goes
after it, if that robot turns off the light and moves away the robot
looses its quarry.
-a robot that can follow a moving light spots a light and goes after
it, if that robot turns off the light and moves away the robot looses
its quarry.
-a robot that can't follow a moving light spots a light and goes
after it, if that robot leaves it's light on and moves away the robot
looses its quarry.
-a robot that can follow a moving light spots a light and goes after
it, if that robot leaves it's light on and moves away the robot can
follow it's quarry.

There are more cases of robots finding each other when the light is
left on then if it's turned off.  Light always on or turned off makes
no difference for the non-tracking robot.

If you have to turn the light on and off you loose a motor port.  If
the light is always on you can use a battery box and use the motor
port for something else.

This also brings up issues of moving around quickly or slowly.  In
the time scale of Lego electronics if you move around quickly you are
effectively turning the light off because nothing will be able to
follow you.  If you move around slowly then there's a chance someone
can mate with you while your moving, so long as you can keep your
light on.

Second is regarding the colours of the brick that we transfer? Do
we just bring
any colour we want? Or will they be provided before each round, so
that two
robots don't have the same colour?

Earlier on, participants were choosing the colours of bricks for
transfer.  I
think they were here:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=14684

Ya, we all called colours earlier.  Really we'll bring several sets
of colours so if some can't make up the bricks they can pick from the
pool day off.

(Note that this is a great example of how "social experimentation"
can't be
trusted for anything--is Dave right?  Is Janey right?  Who decides?)

This is not an example of anything.

Dave called white here:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=14681

You called white here:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=14682

Dave's message predates yours, I'm sorry you loose.

Lastly, the dimensions, can the robot expand to a bigger size then
a 12” cube
after the round has started?

Sure!  That's a really cool idea!

Hmmm, evil laughter!