 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15256
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto20 Draft Rules Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:45:27 GMT

On 23-Nov-05, at 6:22 AM, Chris Magno wrote:

Hi Derek, if I understand what you are asking, the answer would be 16.

The easiest way to visualize how to build multiple Transfer
Openings (TO) would be to build several stand alone TO's and then
place them around your robot.

We feel, that should a designer choose to use the 4 stud width from
Outside dimension to Inside Dimension, as a way to locate the
opening then there should be that dimension on each TO.

Now, an argument could be made that that same 4 studs are there in
the  second example you gave re: 12 Center to Center measurement.

Other than being able to cram more TO's into the same linear plane,
are there other reasons why we should re-think this??

No, I just wanted clarification.  16 studs on centre is fine with me.

I would like to see this section in read and up for debate as well.
I personally think that colour should be irrelevant.

I'm happy with that.

Why is the transfer opening so deep?  I was expect it to be 1 stud
deep.  What's the reasoning for making it 4 studs deep?

Derek, I am  not sure if there is a miscommunication.  The rule
text says:

"There should be at least four dots of depth into the Transfer
Opening."

The key word is "into."   The block depth itself is 2 studs deep.
a 4 stud depth was chosen, to allow for the block, and 2 studs for
any potential transfer End of Arm Tool (EOAT) to fit.

IF you are thinking that we are mandating that your bot T.O. must
be a SOLID 4 studs deep, then thats just a miss understanding and I
would like your suggestion on how to better re-word the rule.

So you are saying there should be clearance for a EOAT to enter to at
least 4 studs into the TO.  But as long as my TO opening is 8 studs
by 7 bricks on the outer surface it can expand to any size I want on
the inside.

Basically it doesn't have to be a 8 stud by 7 brick by 4 stud tunnel.

Can you explain this line in more detail, I'm not sure what you're
getting at:

"No assemblies (eg. sensors) should permanently obstruct the Wall
Surface."

Your going to have to wait for Calum on this.  I think he is trying
to convey the idea that a flat TO is a base line to allow other
bots to use offset whisker depth as a way to feel for the opening.
Any protruding bricks might interfere with those whiskers.

Ah, is he saying I can have a tool that hangs over the front of the
TO as long as it's a moveable tool.  For example a sensor on an arm
could move around the outside of my robot, but I couldn't permanently
mount one in a way the would obstruct the TO.

Derek