 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15241
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto20 Draft Rules Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:33:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Vitali Furman wrote:
I have three questions. First it says that the becon light is on when the robot
is stopped? Does that mean the it can't be on while the robot is moving around
or what? Or is it that it can only go on when another robots has stopped it and
is trying to transfer a brick?

In my opinion (and the way it's written now) the light has to be on ONLY when
the robot is stopped.  It should NOT be on while the robot is moving around.
Here's my reasons why:

1. No provision has been made to stop a robot remotely (ie, there is no method of stopping a robot you want to deposit into), so you need to know when a robot is stopped, in the hope that you can align with the stopped robot and drop out a block.   If you don't know when the robot is stopped, and you don't know how to stop a robot, then how are you going to do anything with it?

2. If you keep the light on all the time, then there are many light sources to
chase around.  The chances of chasing a MOVING light source around may be very
difficult.

Now, that all said, some people, like Derek, feel the light should be on all the time or up to you.   I'd rather it be either on all the time, or the way it's stated now.  It shouldn't be up to you.

Second is regarding the colours of the brick that we transfer? Do we just bring
any colour we want? Or will they be provided before each round, so that two
robots don't have the same colour?

Earlier on, participants were choosing the colours of bricks for transfer.  I
think they were here:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=14684

(Note that this is a great example of how "social experimentation" can't be
trusted for anything--is Dave right?  Is Janey right?  Who decides?)

Lastly, the dimensions, can the robot expand to a bigger size then a 12” cube
after the round has started?

Sure!  That's a really cool idea!

Seems like an interesting game.

I think it's worth a shot.  I've spent quite a while trying to de-louse any "up
to chance" elements out of the basic game.  Strategy, innovation, that can all
come above being able to find and pass a basic block.

Calum