 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15250
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto20 Draft Rules Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:22:07 GMT

Derek Raycraft wrote:

> On 22-Nov-05, at 6:10 AM, Calum Tsang wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The product of many long debates, rtlToronto20: Project Y's draft
>> rules are now
>> posted:
>>
>> http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-rtl20/
>

> Two questions about the interface.
>
> If I want to put two interfaces beside each other, is the minimum
> distance between openings 16 or 12 studs?  Measured from the center
> line of the openings.

Hi Derek, if I understand what you are asking, the answer would be 16.

The easiest way to visualize how to build multiple Transfer Openings
(TO) would be to build several stand alone TO's and then place them
around your robot.

We feel, that should a designer choose to use the 4 stud width from
Outside dimension to Inside Dimension, as a way to locate the opening
then there should be that dimension on each TO.

Now, an argument could be made that that same 4 studs are there in the
  second example you gave re: 12 Center to Center measurement.

Other than being able to cram more TO's into the same linear plane, are
there other reasons why we should re-think this??

> The wall surface needs to be a uniform colour, but you don't say what
> colour that is.  Is that open to artistic license, or are we going to
> pick the colour at some point.  I think it should be a darker colour,
> to make the light stand out against it.

I would like to see this section in read and up for debate as well. I
personally think that colour should be irrelevant.

> Why is the transfer opening so deep?  I was expect it to be 1 stud
> deep.  What's the reasoning for making it 4 studs deep?

Derek, I am  not sure if there is a miscommunication.  The rule text says:

"There should be at least four dots of depth into the Transfer Opening."

The key word is "into."   The block depth itself is 2 studs deep.  a 4
stud depth was chosen, to allow for the block, and 2 studs for any
potential transfer End of Arm Tool (EOAT) to fit.

IF you are thinking that we are mandating that your bot T.O. must be a
SOLID 4 studs deep, then thats just a miss understanding and I would
like your suggestion on how to better re-word the rule.

> Can you explain this line in more detail, I'm not sure what you're
> getting at:
>
> "No assemblies (eg. sensors) should permanently obstruct the Wall
> Surface."

Your going to have to wait for Calum on this.  I think he is trying to
convey the idea that a flat TO is a base line to allow other bots to use
offset whisker depth as a way to feel for the opening.  Any protruding
bricks might interfere with those whiskers.

Chris